Using third party bcb6 vcl's with bds

2006-11-17 11:43:15 AM
cppbuilder33
Hi,
I am testing the bds evaluation version.
I have spent some time looking into the possibility of using vcl
components compiled for bcb6 with bds. My main problem appears to be
the lack of rtl60.bpl. I have read that the updates to bds include
rtl60.bpl. Does that mean that I will be able to work with my old
components in bds if I purchase the full version and install the
updates?
I don't have access to the full source for the components so
recompiling them to work with bds is not an option AFAICT.
Ideally I would prefer to purchase bds than bcb6 as I have read there
are several bug fixes for the gui and it is generally easier to work
with.
Either way I have to purchase the compiler so what is the
recommendation?
Cheers.
Patrick

Re:Using third party bcb6 vcl's with bds

"Bh1" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have spent some time looking into the possibility of using vcl
components compiled for bcb6 with bds.
Unless you have the full source code for the components, then you will not
be able to use them in BDS. Packages have always been version-specific.
Newer versions of BCB have never been able to use components from older
versions. Packages always need to be recompiled for the version of the
compiler they are targetting.
I have read that the updates to bds include rtl60.bpl
Where did you read that? I have all of the BDS updates installed, and there
are no *60.* files to be found in it.
I don't have access to the full source for the components so
recompiling them to work with bds is not an option AFAICT.
Then you are out of luck. Your only option is to wrap the component usage
into a BCB6-written DLL that you can then load from a BDS-compiled
executable.
Gambit