Rule for project "Project1.exe"" is not specified.?????

2004-10-05 06:22:39 PM
cppbuilder63
Hello,
Yet another problem we have with the C++Builder 6. When we get the error
<Rule for project "Project1.exe"" is not specified.>the whole project
group becomes unusable. This error usualy arises when we want to add a
new project to the project group. Although Project1.exe" does not appear
in the project group, we can no longer change the compilation order of
the current projects or add and remove other projects. The same error
will be given over and over.
We can only solve this temporarily be beginning with a new project group
and adding the existing projects one by one until we get the same error
again.
Has anyone else had the same Builder error before?
We want to get rid of this one, because it is a real pain.
Wiljo.

Re:Rule for project "Project1.exe"" is not specified.?????

When I encounter this problem it is usually because the version information
contains a non alphanumeric character such as the copyright symbol and I
have manually edited the BPR/BPK file using notepad. The solution is to
either no longer manually edit the BPR/BPK or to use only alphanumeric
characters in the version information.
Notepad seems to add a non-visual character to the beginning of files that
have symbols in them. It is this character that Builder is complaining
about. To get rid of this character you can use a hex editor rather than
notepad.
HTH,
- Clayton

"Clayton Arends" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:4162ca9e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Notepad seems to add a non-visual character to the beginning of files that
Notepad adds a signature marking the text file to be UTF8 encoded,
since the project file contains UTF8 encoded XML data.
BCB cannot read the XML file if it starts with that signature (?).
To prevent Notepad from adding this signature just select
ASCII encoding in the Notepad save dialog.
Andre

{smallsort}

Clayton Arends wrote:
When I encounter this problem it is usually because the version information
contains a non alphanumeric character such as the copyright symbol and I
have manually edited the BPR/BPK file using notepad. The solution is to
either no longer manually edit the BPR/BPK or to use only alphanumeric
characters in the version information.

Notepad seems to add a non-visual character to the beginning of files that
have symbols in them. It is this character that Builder is complaining
about. To get rid of this character you can use a hex editor rather than
notepad.

HTH,
- Clayton

Thanks for your reaction, (And to Andre Kaufmann as well)
The Borland project files are "utf-8" encoded, it is so stated on the
first line of the file. And it appears this is identified with the three
extra non visual characters at the beginning of the project files.
Borland needs those to work correctly. When a project file is edited
with notepad, or a similar text editor, these non-visual character will
be removed. Only when one saves the text file back as UTF-8 encoded, the
non visual characters are added and Borland no longer has a problem.
Borland project files should not be edited, but sometimes it is
necessary to remove certain problems, that can not be solved otherwise.
I found that it is better to edit them directly from the Builder itself.
The right click popup menu on the project has an entry to do just that:
<Edit Option Source>. This ensures the files stay utf-8 encoded, and we
have the benefit of the borland editor to make changes in the project file.
cheers
Wiljo.