compile and edit

2005-10-07 06:13:28 PM
cppbuilder86
Hi,
Is it normal that when you're compiling the editor is unusable? i.e. the compilation windows appears, compile is in progress but its not possible to edit code in parallel? Or am I missing something?
thanks

Re:compile and edit

grahamo wrote:
Is it normal that when you're compiling the editor is unusable?
i.e. the compilation windows appears, compile is in progress
but its not possible to edit code in parallel? Or am I missing something?
You did not manually wrap that line.
Tools | Environment Options... | Preferences | Background compilation.
Hans.

Re:compile and edit

But note that background compilation is *much* slower
so I personally have turned it off.
HTH Pete
"Hans Galema" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
grahamo wrote:

>Is it normal that when you're compiling the editor is unusable? i.e. the
>compilation windows appears, compile is in progress
>but its not possible to edit code in parallel? Or am I missing something?

You did not manually wrap that line.

Tools | Environment Options... | Preferences | Background compilation.

Hans.

{smallsort}

Re:compile and edit

I turned it off too. Too slow :(

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>grahamo wrote:
>
>>Is it normal that when you're compiling the editor is unusable? i.e. the
>>compilation windows appears, compile is in progress
>>but its not possible to edit code in parallel? Or am I missing something?
>
>You did not manually wrap that line.
>
>Tools | Environment Options... | Preferences | Background compilation.
>
>Hans.

Re:compile and edit

"grahamo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is it normal that when you're compiling the editor is unusable? i.e. the
compilation windows appears, compile is in progress but its not
possible to edit code in parallel?
Yes, that is normal. You need to enable Background Compiling in order to do
what you ask.
Gambit

Re:compile and edit

"Pete Fraser" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
But note that background compilation is *much* slower
so I personally have turned it off.
Download the excellent free utility from Andreas Hausladen
(andy.jgknet.de/cpp/).
It gives you the speed of a command line build, fully integrated into the
IDE (ie double click on a warning/error and it takes you directly to the
source) and gives you background compilation.
HTH
Des

Re:compile and edit

news:43465091$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>But note that background compilation is *much* slower
>so I personally have turned it off.

Download the excellent free utility from Andreas Hausladen
(andy.jgknet.de/cpp/).

It gives you the speed of a command line build, fully integrated into the
IDE (ie double click on a warning/error and it takes you directly to the
source) and gives you background compilation.

HTH

Des

I tried to install the package with BCB6, but I got the following error:
[Pascal Fatal Error] bcc32pch_Main.pas(17): File not found: 'ToolsAPI.dcu'
[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'BCC32PCH_MAIN.OBJ'
I do not have ToolsAPI.dcu. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Carsten
(remove dashes from e-mail address)

Re:compile and edit

"CM" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I tried to install the package with BCB6, but I got the following error:

[Pascal Fatal Error] bcc32pch_Main.pas(17): File not found: 'ToolsAPI.dcu'
[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'BCC32PCH_MAIN.OBJ'

I do not have ToolsAPI.dcu. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Carsten
I'm afraid I don't know.
However Andreas (the author) is very helpful and responsive. I don't know if
he follows this group but if you post a message in cppbuilder.non-technical
I'm sure he will see it and respond.
HTH
Des

Re:compile and edit

news:diok6k$dvc$04$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I tried to install the package with BCB6, but I got the following error:
>
>[Pascal Fatal Error] bcc32pch_Main.pas(17): File not found: 'ToolsAPI.dcu'
>[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'BCC32PCH_MAIN.OBJ'
>
>I do not have ToolsAPI.dcu. Any help would be highly appreciated.
>
>Carsten

I'm afraid I don't know.

However Andreas (the author) is very helpful and responsive. I don't know if
he follows this group but if you post a message in cppbuilder.non-technical
I'm sure he will see it and respond.

HTH

Des

Hi,
thanks for your reply. I found out myself, now. Had to compile 3 units
manually with dcc32.exe.
Carsten