Cannot open Project then options

2006-03-08 06:04:08 AM
cppbuilder71
I am using BCB6 with SP4 on WinXP Home SP2. Always worked not sure what
I did differently to the system, but now I cannot open Project | options.
I get an access violation....
like this.....
Access violation at address 0021F98B. Write of address 0021F98B.
then
Access violation at address 0012FAFB. Write of address 0012FAFB.
Any idea before I reinstall BCB6 or worse
Windows + SP, BCB3 + Components + SP, BCB6 + Components + SP, Help
Compiler, De{*word*81}
Office............................other tools too numerous to mention...
Installer system....

Re:Cannot open Project then options

Jinkies! What happens if you try to open project options on a new project?
I recommend uninstalling all third party packages (including your own)
through "Components | Install Packages" before uninstalling BCB6. I had a
package once that, if installed, caused an AV every time I tried to add a
unit to any project.
Good luck,
- Clayton

"Colin B Maharaj" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I cannot open Project | options. I get an access violation....
Did you restart the IDE? Does the AV still occur after you do so?
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:Cannot open Project then options

"Colin B Maharaj" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I am using BCB6 with SP4 on WinXP Home SP2. Always worked not sure what I
did differently to the system, but now I cannot open Project | options.
I get an access violation....
like this.....
Is this only with one project or does it happen with more than one?
What about without a project open?
Maybe corrupted default project file?
Might be an idea to delete the default project and then let BCB regenerate.
Good luck -Martin

Re:Cannot open Project then options

Scenarios.....
1. No project open ->file | close All =>Project | Option : opens
2. Create a new project =>Project | Option : access violation
3. Open a project I created long ago that worked properly before where I
remembered setting project options =>Project | Option : access violation.
Well Most likely there is a corrupt file / component somewhere in my
palette.
How do I trouble shoot this....rather than a reinstall...
news:440e0353$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I am using BCB6 with SP4 on WinXP Home SP2. Always worked not sure what I
>did differently to the system, but now I cannot open Project | options.
>I get an access violation....
>like this.....

Is this only with one project or does it happen with more than one?

What about without a project open?

Maybe corrupted default project file?
Might be an idea to delete the default project and then let BCB regenerate.
Good luck -Martin

Re:Cannot open Project then options

"Colin B Maharaj" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
How do I trouble shoot this....rather than a reinstall...
Uninstall all non-Borland components using "Components | Install Packages".
Keep track of which one's you've removed so you can install them again if
you find the problematic package.
- Clayton

Re:Cannot open Project then options

Reading my post again it appears that I'm recommending unsintalling the
third party packages AND uninstalling BCB6. That is not what I meant. I
meant try uninstalling third party packages to see if the problem goes away
before performing the drastic measure of uninstalling and reinstalling BCB6.

Re:Cannot open Project then options

OK I am emailing you from Thunderbird, I just reinstalled Windows. HA I
just typed thunderbird and (again) the spell checker in thunderbird
(again) gives it a red underline ->bad spelling. This is fun.
Anyway I will be reinstalling everything over the next few days on a
different drive BCB3+SP+Comp, BCB6+SP4+Comp, etc..etc...
Later and thanks...
BTW: I had Mozilla before.
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>How do I trouble shoot this....rather than a reinstall...

Uninstall all non-Borland components using "Components | Install Packages".
Keep track of which one's you've removed so you can install them again if
you find the problematic package.

- Clayton

Re:Cannot open Project then options

It worked - The OS was definitely corrupted...
Now I am getting 30days to activate WinXP and a message that
this version of windows has been reactivated too many times.
Whatever...
Thanks for the support....
Of course before I did this I removed the entire builder installation
and reinstalled etc...etc..