inspecting memory

2007-03-01 03:12:22 AM
cppbuilder4
I use Borland C++ Builder6 and I often want to view a particular piece of
memory (e.g. buffers) and use the inspect function for this. However, this
function has the disadvantage of just having one (indexed)row of data which
(at least imho gives little overview). Is there a way of viewing blocks of
memory as is often possible in (cross)compilers for embedded targets: from
address to address in a field where data is printed in rows of 8 (or
variable), grouped per 1X, 2x or 4xunit ? Perhaps this is a feature in
BDS2006 or someone has written something for BCB6 ?
- Dirk

Re:inspecting memory

DJ wrote:
I use Borland C++ Builder6 and I often want to view a particular piece of
memory (e.g. buffers) and use the inspect function for this. However, this
function has the disadvantage of just having one (indexed)row of data which
(at least imho gives little overview). Is there a way of viewing blocks of
memory as is often possible in (cross)compilers for embedded targets: from
address to address in a field where data is printed in rows of 8 (or
variable), grouped per 1X, 2x or 4xunit ? Perhaps this is a feature in
BDS2006 or someone has written something for BCB6 ?

- Dirk

Dirk,
Yes, use the CPU Window (View - Debug Windows>CPU). The lower left
pane is a data pane. You can right click and select Goto Address... and
then enter your starting address. You can also change the word size by
right clicking and selecting Display As>Word (or Bytes or Floats etc).
HTH
Dennis Cote

Re:inspecting memory

"DJ" <NOSPAMdirkjurjenAThotmailDOTcom>wrote in message
this function has the disadvantage of just having one (indexed)row
of data
Only by default, but the Inspector has options available to customize
the view.
Is there a way of viewing blocks of memory
Right-click on the Inspector and use the Range option.
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:inspecting memory

Thanks guys, the CPU pane is exactly what I need.
- Dirk