BCB2006 - how to turn off debug libs?

2007-11-28 08:14:15 PM
cppbuilder40
In BCBv5 you could set a linker setting to not link the debug libraries
of the RTL etc. Now in BCB2006 there doesn't seem any way to not
step(F7) into AnsiString etc. Have I overlooked something or is this a
retrograde step?

Re:BCB2006 - how to turn off debug libs?

David Perkins wrote:
In BCBv5 you could set a linker setting to not link the debug libraries
of the RTL etc. Now in BCB2006 there doesn't seem any way to not
step(F7) into AnsiString etc.
This was discussed briefly before:
dhoke wrote:
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:58:32 +0200
Subject: BDS2006: NOT debugging VCL source code

Somewhere the instructions I found _to_ debug into VCL source code with
bds2006 were:
UNcheck Project-options/Linker/linking/Use Dynamic RTL
UNcheck Project-options/Packages/Build-with-runtime-packages

So you'd probably want to be sure both of those options are CHECKed.
Let us know if this solved the problem...

dhoke wrote:
>Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:58:32 +0200
>Subject: BDS2006: NOT debugging VCL source code
>
>Somewhere the instructions I found _to_ debug into VCL source code with
>bds2006 were:
>UNcheck Project-options/Linker/linking/Use Dynamic RTL
>UNcheck Project-options/Packages/Build-with-runtime-packages
>
>So you'd probably want to be sure both of those options are CHECKed.

Let us know if this solved the problem...
It may solve his immediate problem (I'm not positive about that)
but it's also switching to a static build instead of a dynamic
one IIRC. If so, this is maybe not the solution he's looking
for.

{smallsort}

Re:BCB2006 - how to turn off debug libs?

>Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:58:32 +0200
>Subject: BDS2006: NOT debugging VCL source code
>
>Somewhere the instructions I found _to_ debug into VCL source code with
>bds2006 were:
>UNcheck Project-options/Linker/linking/Use Dynamic RTL
>UNcheck Project-options/Packages/Build-with-runtime-packages
>
>So you'd probably want to be sure both of those options are CHECKed.

Let us know if this solved the problem...
Thanks, I have vague recollections of that. I'll change my debug build
to those settings and give it a go.

Duane Hebert wrote:
It may solve his immediate problem (I'm not positive about that)
but it's also switching to a static build instead of a dynamic
one IIRC. If so, this is maybe not the solution he's looking
for.
Does that really matter for debugging?
Switch back for release.

Duane Hebert wrote:

>It may solve his immediate problem (I'm not positive about that)
>but it's also switching to a static build instead of a dynamic
>one IIRC. If so, this is maybe not the solution he's looking
>for.

Does that really matter for debugging?
Switch back for release.
I don't know. It would matter to me. Some times things
are different in static builds. Some problems with BCB6
and boost::thread come to mind. Anyway, I'm just pointing
out that your suggestion has side affects <g>
I think there's an IDE bug here though and it should be addressed. They
seem to have removed the "use debug library" option. I know with
2006 explorer version that I run at home, there doesn't seem to
be a way to turn this off or on cleanly. I noticed it WRT codeguard.
We used to be able to build with debug libs and have code guard
detect leaks from VCL objects.
That doesn't seem to work any longer. But then I don't see how
to tell it to use debug libs. I don't know if these issues
are related or if they exist in the current release though.

Duane Hebert wrote:
I think there's an IDE bug here though and it should be addressed. They
seem to have removed the "use debug library" option. I know with
2006 explorer version that I run at home, there doesn't seem to
be a way to turn this off or on cleanly. I noticed it WRT codeguard.

We used to be able to build with debug libs and have code guard
detect leaks from VCL objects.
That doesn't seem to work any longer. But then I don't see how
to tell it to use debug libs. I don't know if these issues
are related or if they exist in the current release though.

Use debug library was removed for BDS2006. For Delphi in CDS2007 it was
added, but not for C++. I QC'ed it but it was marked as a Test case
Error. This is exactly the stuff that should be fixed, but it is not
being dealt with in a constructive manor.
John.

Re:BCB2006 - how to turn off debug libs?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"Duane Hebert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
They
seem to have removed the "use debug library" option. I know with
2006 explorer version that I run at home, there doesn't seem to
be a way to turn this off or on cleanly.
The library paths can be changed between debug and release, and this
can be controlled at the build configuration level.
If you want to use release libraries, change the library path from
debug to release in the directories and conditionals.
--
David Dean (CodeGear)
Lead C++ QA Engineer

John Grabner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Use debug library was removed for BDS2006. For Delphi in CDS2007 it was
added, but not for C++. I QC'ed it but it was marked as a Test case
Error. This is exactly the stuff that should be fixed, but it is not
being dealt with in a constructive manor.
What's the QC number?
--
David Dean (CodeGear)
Lead C++ QA Engineer

David Dean [CodeGear] wrote:
In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
John Grabner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Use debug library was removed for BDS2006. For Delphi in CDS2007 it was
>added, but not for C++. I QC'ed it but it was marked as a Test case
>Error. This is exactly the stuff that should be fixed, but it is not
>being dealt with in a constructive manor.

What's the QC number?
Report No: 25318 Status: Closed
It is no longer possible to select release build of the VCL with debugging
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
QCWIN:Defect_No=25318

Re:BCB2006 - how to turn off debug libs?

In article <474f781f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
John Grabner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>What's the QC number?

Report No: 25318 Status: Closed
It is no longer possible to select release build of the VCL with debugging
qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
QCWIN:Defect_No=25318
Thanks. It's a semantic thing. It *is* possible, just not as easy as
it used to be. How about we edit this report to be a feature request
that makes the switch back and forth a simple one click operation again?
I can then promote it to RAID and pester R&D to make this change. 8-)
--
David Dean (CodeGear)
Lead C++ QA Engineer

David Dean [CodeGear] wrote:
In article <474f781f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
John Grabner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>>What's the QC number?
>
>Report No: 25318 Status: Closed
>It is no longer possible to select release build of the VCL with debugging
>qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>QCWIN:Defect_No=25318

Thanks. It's a semantic thing. It *is* possible, just not as easy as
it used to be. How about we edit this report to be a feature request
that makes the switch back and forth a simple one click operation again?
I can then promote it to RAID and pester R&D to make this change. 8-)
Changed to a feature request.
John.

Re:BCB2006 - how to turn off debug libs?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
John Grabner < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Changed to a feature request.
I made some minor edits and promoted it to RAID. I'll start pestering
R&D soon.
Report No: 25318 (RAID: 256659) Status: Open
Make selection of debug/release rtl easier