brcc32 and /i in a rsp file

2006-03-23 10:57:11 PM
cppbuilder111
Hello.
I use the free Borland C++ Builder 5.5 command line tools. I have encountered a little problem using brcc32 (the resource compiler).
I created a resource file called Robot.rc in the current directory, and this file contains the line:
#include <windows.h>
Moreover the path to the Borland tools is in the path environment variable.
With Win98 SE, if I create a file called brcc32.rsp with the contents:
/i"C:\BC55\Include" Robot.rc
and then type in the command shell:
brcc32 @brcc32.rsp
, it works perfectly.
With WinXP, if I do exactly the same, I get an error telling me that the file windows.h cannot be opened. But if I type on the command line
brcc32 /i"C:\BC55\Include" Robot.rc
then it works.
With WinXP, it also works when the brcc32.rsp file contents are:
/iC:\BC55\Include Robot.rc
(no quotes)
and I type
brcc32 @brcc32.rsp
It seems that brcc32 does not handle quotation marks properly in the response file for the include path (.rsp). But why does it work if I type the whole command in a command shell without using a response file? Does it have something to do with Windows? Why does it act differently under Win98 and WinXP?
Here it is not really a problem because the include path does not contain any space. But if it did, what would I have done?
I just would like to understand that strange behavior.
Any explanation is welcome,
thanks in advance,
Stéphane.

Re:brcc32 and /i in a rsp file

I think the startup code does the same as in your programs, discard the
enclosing quotes when constructing the string values whose pointers are in
the argv[] array. The response file doesn't seem to get the same treatment.
. Ed
Stephane wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

[...]

Thanks a lot for your explanation.
Stéphane
"Ed Mulroy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I think the startup code does the same as in your programs, discard the
enclosing quotes when constructing the string values whose pointers are in
the argv[] array. The response file doesn't seem to get the same treatment.

. Ed

{smallsort}