Dr. Watson dump file analysis?

2005-02-12 02:00:16 PM
cppbuilder55
I've got a program throwing an exception in the startup code when it
runs in Finland (runs fine here in the US).
I need to figure out what's happening when the exception occurs.
I thought I would be able to create a Dr. Watson dump that I could then
analyze on my machine using WinDBG. In researching how I might do this,
I ran into this statement on MSDN:
"The machine on which you debug the dump must have access to the
binaries for the program and the PDB files."
Of course BCB does not generate PDB files. Does anyone know if I can
somehow create and analyze a Dump from Win2K and/or WinXP with BCB code?
Is there another method that I can use to find out what's going on?
TIA!

Re:Dr. Watson dump file analysis?

Leroy Casterline < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Of course BCB does not generate PDB files. Does anyone know if I can
somehow create and analyze a Dump from Win2K and/or WinXP with BCB code?
It turns out that the MS Debugging tools for Windows will work with .dbg
files. Lucian Wischik wrote a utility that will convert a Borland .map
file into an MS .dbg file - Map2Dbg.zip, source code included. If you
make improvements to the Map2Dbg program, I'd appreciate a copy!
I don't remember where I found it on the net, but Goggle will probably
find it if you're interested. I've also uploaded it to my anonymous FTP
site at ftp.ccltd.com.
I've used it once before, and faintly remember that even thought it
seemed to write symbolic information to the .dbg file, there was a
problem accessing the symbols in WinDbg. What it produces is enough to
get the crash dump loaded into WinDbg, however.
Also, FYI, here's how you go about getting a crash dump on an exception:
The following refers to the machine on which the exception is occurring
(of course):
(This is just a paste of instructions I wrote for my client. Where I
refer to a path, you'll need to adjust it to your needs.)
(Note that you'll get two dump files in the LogFiles subdirectory. One
will be related to the exception, the other is automatically created
when the application closes.)
1) You will need to get Administrator access to your PC. Dump files
cannot be created without Administrator access.
2) Download “Debugging Tools For Windows?from Microsoft:
msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/de{*word*81}s/dbg_x86_6.4.7.2.exe
3) Run the file you just downloaded. This will install the Microsoft
debugging tools we need to get a dump when the exception occurs. You may
install the tools in any directory you wish.
4) Reboot your computer and log on again with Administrator access.
5) Open a DOS prompt (Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt).
6) At the DOS prompt, type or copy/paste (on a single line):
adplus –crash –fullonfirst –o "c:\Program
Files\DVS926PowerMonitor\LogFiles" –sc "c:\Program
Files\DVS926PowerMonitor\DVS926PwrMon.exe"
Press return to execute the adplus command.
Note: To paste into a DOS box, click on the tiny icon in the title bar
to the left of the window title (Command Prompt), move to the Edit menu
item, then click on Paste.
Note also that if you installed the software to a directory other than
the default directory, you'll have to replace the default directory with
the installation directory in the command above before you execute it.
7) If your firewall objects to running a script file, please allow the
script to run. I use Norton AntiVirus ?it presents me with the option
to block the script, allow it to run once, or authorize it to run
anytime. If you have similar options, please allow it to run anytime.
8) A message box titled “Windows Script Host?will appear. You can just
click OK to close it.
This will launch the software and, when it throws the exception, create
a number of files in a subdirectory under the application LogFiles
directory. Two of these files will probably be about 40MB in size, the
others will all be much smaller.