Reply of DIEGOZ from Howrd Rifkind - TRACE Through

Sorry for this form of reply.
Did as you suggested but still the same issue. Could this have something to
do with the Set up options. I've tried a number
of different varitions with the options but still the same issue.
Could it be that the processor is to fast 1.2 GHZ for this DOS compiler?
Machine is running these partitions; Windows98, WindowsXP, DOS and LINUS, I
boot between the partitions via System Commander.
Thank.
You said this compiled cleanly?
getch() normally requires the include conio
#include <conio>
or
#include <conio.h>is also fine.
Try putting that in and see what happens.
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:00:34 GMT, "Howard M. Rifkind"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Hello all:

Hope this message is posted to the correct group:

I'm new to 'C' programming and I just installed the 3.0 C++ compiler. I
wrote a small program and it compiles clean and runs without any errors to
completion.

However when I try to a STEP THROUGH or TRACE TROUGH the program hangs the
partition and I have to reboot.

I don't know whether it's the way I set up the options in the compiler or
if
there is something wrong with my program. I have attached a copy of the
code here,

If some one could take a quick look and advise I would greatly appreciate
it. I have no clue why the tracing is{*word*154} the partition.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I believe that for some reason when sending this message the
attachment
got deleted. It's listed below.

#include <stdio.h>

/*
------->* define some box-drawing characters * <-------
*/

#define LEFT_TOP 0xDA
#define RIGHT_TOP 0xBF
#define HORIZ 0xC4
#define VERT 0xB3
#define LEFT_BOT 0xC0
#define RIGHT_BOT 0xD9

int main(void)
{
int i, j;

/* draw the top of the box */

putchar('\n');
putchar(LEFT_TOP);
for (i=0; i<10; i++)
putchar(HORIZ);
putchar(RIGHT_TOP);
putchar('\n');

/* draw the middle */

for (i=0; i<4; i++)
{
putchar(VERT);
for (j=0; j<10; j++)
putchar(' ');
putchar(VERT);
putchar('\n');
}

/* draw the bottom */

putchar(LEFT_BOT);
for (i=0; i<10; i++)
putchar(HORIZ);
putchar(RIGHT_BOT);
putchar('\n');

getch();

return 0;
}

Re:Reply of DIEGOZ from Howrd Rifkind - TRACE Through

You know I wouldn't be a good control test.
I use WinXP pro and Red Hat Linux 8 on the other part. I use Borland
Builder 6.0 Pro and did a step by step instruction trace and no
freeze.
My CPU watch window and the program running would not close until I
went to the run menu item and selected program reset which stopped
everything. However I could still multitask to any other app.
If you are in pure DOS then maybe use the short cut key that resets
the program.
The processor should not make a difference. Intel still supports the
8086 instruction set. I can't see why the speed would make a
difference.
You didn't mention which partition you are running this on. I assumed
DOS. I wouldn't think there would be an issue there either.
Hopefully someone with closer specs to yours will see this and maybe
they have an answer.