BC5.02/BCB3 OWL project upgrades

2004-11-30 06:14:33 AM
cppbuilder74
Hi All,
I recently bought BCB6 Pro, and to my chagrin, I found out that it no longer
supports OWL. I'm trying to migrate owl projects from BC5.02 and BCB3 to a
single compiler - BCB6.
Since OWL no longer exists, can I just take the OWL source from one of the
original compilers and compile it under BCB6, then my projects will then
compile and link? Are there commercial ramifications to doing this?
I do know about OWLNext, but have not had much luck getting my sources to
compile yet. Is it possible to take a OWL project, and with OWLNext, port
the whole thing to Visual Studio?
If people could summarize their experiences with upgrading old OWL projects,
that would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!
Corey.

Re:BC5.02/BCB3 OWL project upgrades

I recently bought BCB6 Pro, and to my chagrin, I found out that it
no longer
supports OWL. I'm trying to migrate owl projects from BC5.02 and
BCB3 to a
single compiler - BCB6.

Since OWL no longer exists, can I just take the OWL source from one
of the
original compilers and compile it under BCB6, then my projects will
then
compile and link? Are there commercial ramifications to doing this?

You were always free to recompile OWL. Unfortunately, I don't think
BCB 6 will build the old OWL sources.
I do know about OWLNext, but have not had much luck getting my
sources to
compile yet. Is it possible to take a OWL project, and with
OWLNext, port
the whole thing to Visual Studio?

Sure, given enough time and resources, almost anything is possible :^)
I haven't tried that route (yet).
If people could summarize their experiences with upgrading old OWL
projects,
that would be appreciated.
I use a mixture of OWLNext and VCL in my project. It was not trivial
to get working, but was fairly straightforward. I needed to learn the
STL and used Boost to duplicate the BIDS container functionality. VCL
is a mixed bag. Most things are quite easy, but if it doesn't do
exactly what you need it can be a real PITA. Beware if you have
derived a lot of classes from OWL.
HTH,
Bruce