Exchange rates service

2004-02-03 04:10:32 PM
cppbuilder95
www.xe.com is an exchange rate and currency converter site.
I did have a look at the source of their pages to see if
it was not to difficult to parse out the rates.
How did they know what I was about to .. ? This I found:
<WARNING>
<!--
// *** LEGAL WARNING! ***
//
// IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU MAY BE CONSIDERING EXTRACTING RATE DATA
FROM XE.COM.
// THIS IS A VIOLATION OF THE LEGAL TERMS OF USE. DATA EXCTRACTION IS NOT
PERMITTED.
// REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS DATA IS PROHIBTED, AND ALL USE OF IT IS STRICTLY
GOVERNED
</WARNING>
Obviously I was not the first with that idea.<g>. So who knows something on
www or on internet where a program could query exchange rates, and parsing,
if needed, is allowed?
Hans.

Re:Exchange rates service

"Hans Galema" wrote:
Obviously I was not the first with that idea.<g>. So who knows something
on
www or on internet where a program could query exchange rates, and
parsing,
if needed, is allowed?
Do you want to redistribute the rates (or making them public) or do you want
to use them yourself? I don't see a difference from reading a website and
then typeing the figures in from parsing the HTML. As long as it is for own
use.
Peter

Re:Exchange rates service

"Peter Agricola" wrote:
Do you want to redistribute the rates (or making them public) or do you
want
to use them yourself? I don't see a difference from reading a website and
then typeing the figures in from parsing the HTML. As long as it is for
own
use.
Forget what I wrote. You are not allowed to use the rates in whatever form
without written permission. You are not even allowed to use the rates to
create an invoice. I don't know how difficult it is to get written
permission but the site looks rather superfluous to me.
Peter

{smallsort}

Re:Exchange rates service

Peter Agricola wrote:
You are not allowed to use the rates in whatever form
without written permission. You are not even allowed to use the rates to
create an invoice. I don't know how difficult it is to get written
permission but the site looks rather superfluous to me.
Yes, I had discovered that myself. But is there another site somewhere or
a service on the internet that delivers rates ?
Thanks.
Hans.

Re:Exchange rates service

I use this site: (Euro to $US shown)
quote.yahoo.com/m5
However that is a manual entry system. You'd have to get the page and grab
the HTML form and other stuff from it to see how to work it in a program.
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
I use this site: (Euro to $US shown)
quote.yahoo.com/m5

However that is a manual entry system. You'd have to get the page and grab
the HTML form and other stuff from it to see how to work it in a program.
Yes, TIdHTTP could grab the page with the URL you provided. Then the rate
could be parsed out from one of the <td></td>'s from the diagram. That's not
to difficult. Thanks.
At the bottom of the page one can read:
"Copyright ?2004 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service"
And a little bit further:
"By accessing the Yahoo! site, a user agrees not to redistribute the information
found therein."
I read the Terms of Sevice'. It does not contain the word 'parse'.<g>
So do you think I am allowed to use a rate programmatically grabbed
from that page to use it for a site that displays euro values and
converted usd values ?
And I'm still in for server that just would return the rate alone.
Hans.

Re:Exchange rates service

Yes, TIdHTTP could grab the page with the URL you
provided. Then the rate could be parsed out from one
of the <td></td>'s from the diagram. That's not
to difficult. Thanks.
I have not dug into it but was thinking that you could read the page and
learn how to query the exchange rates the same way that page does instead of
parsing the page itself.
Side note: I have no clue as to what a TldHTTP is. Is that an Indy class?
(You're talking with a dummy Win32 coder here.)
And a little bit further:
"By accessing the Yahoo! site, a user agrees not to
redistribute the information found therein."

I read the Terms of Sevice'. It does not contain the word
'parse'.<g>So do you think I am allowed to use a rate
programmatically grabbed from that page to use it for a
site that displays euro values and converted usd values ?
I did not read the page source so did not see that note. I think it does
apply to you but that they most object to the use of their info without
attribution. If you decide to use it then you might display something below
the numbers of of the sort "rates from yahoo" along with a link. However
given the text of the TOS I would be reluctant to use it in the way you
intend.
. Ed
PS: re: XXXX@XXXXX.COM
different name but same destination as I use
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
"great thinks mind alike" !! <g>

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
I have not dug into it but was thinking that you could read the page and
learn how to query the exchange rates the same way that page does instead of
parsing the page itself.
No, the link you provided is the same as when you manually fill in the
inputbox and choose the selects and then click the 'Convert' submitbutton.
Only a "&c=0" is added to the query. I could not find out what different
values for c did. The result is a page that is the same as the original link.
Side note: I have no clue as to what a TldHTTP is. Is that an Indy class?
Yes. Given the URL it would download the html page. Once received one
could parse it.
I did not read the page source so did not see that note. I think it does
apply to you but that they most object to the use of their info without
attribution. If you decide to use it then you might display something below
the numbers of of the sort "rates from yahoo" along with a link. However
given the text of the TOS I would be reluctant to use it in the way you
intend.
Your opinion is appreciated.
"great thinks mind alike" !! <g>
Do they ? <g>
Hans.

Re:Exchange rates service

Hans Galema wrote:
www.xe.com is an exchange rate and currency converter site.

I did have a look at the source of their pages to see if
it was not to difficult to parse out the rates.
There is a developer access for those who want to use the rates in their
commercial programs, provided a fee is paid.
www.xe.com/dfs/

Re:Exchange rates service

OBones wrote:
There is a developer access for those who want to use the rates in their
commercial programs, provided a fee is paid.
www.xe.com/dfs/
Thanks for the precise link.
They charge a flat annual fee of US$540
The currency converter on www.xe.com nicely illustrates a
security problem. They use method=POST to send data to ther cgi, but
it accepts GET as well.
I.E. To see how much US$540 would be in euros, click here:
www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi
Strong Euro!
Think that we will look for something cheaper.
Hans.

Re:Exchange rates service

You may want to look @
www.exchangerate.com/data_feeds.html
I have not used it but they offer a range or feed formats.
Dominique
www.DelphiGamer.com := go on, write a game instead;

Dominique Louis wrote:
You may want to look @
www.exchangerate.com/data_feeds.html

I have not used it but they offer a range or feed formats.
After looking at:
www.exchangerate.com/world_rates.html
I doubt if I can trust them.
The page tells that it is "Last Updated: Fri, 02-06-2004 14:51 (+5 GMT)"
but it shows for the Netherlands the Guilder and for Germany the Mark.
Both countries use Euro longer than a year now.
Thanks.
Hans.

Re:Exchange rates service

If you just need exchange rates for Euros, the European Central Bank
explicitly publishes rates in a variety of importable formats:
www.ecb.int/stats/eurofxref/

Re:Exchange rates service

Hans Galema wrote:
www.xe.com is an exchange rate and currency converter site.
There is a KDE application called kexchange that does that. It retrieves
currency information from:
pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/xr/
fx.sauder.ubc.ca/cgi/fxdata
fx.sauder.ubc.ca/supplement.html
Peruse the source to see how they are used, the second one needs arguments
to retrieve the data.
--
Ruurd

Re:Exchange rates service

Good link. I'm bookmarking that one <g>
He might also try to look at whatever the Java is that drives this site:
www.uta.fi/~ktmatu/rate-converter.html
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...