Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

2004-09-22 11:58:07 AM
cppbuilder89
"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>writes:
Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:

>(Plus it'd be nice to get several
>languages for the price of one...)

Do you think this is even remotely likely? (the pricing policy, I mean)
I am running Visual Studio 2003 as we speak.
It offers me a choice of VB, C# and C++.
So I would say that it is possible.
However, considering Borlands focus on the short term, it is very improbable.

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

I R T < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
History tells us that they will not remain with the company for
too long.
Well, I R T (do you have a first name, or is it I?), perhaps things are
changing in our favor. One can always hope.

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Peter Agricola wrote:
I don't want to pay for a bug fix. I don't mind to pay for supporting
a new feature, even if I haven't asked for it. When uncle Bill
introduces themes I don't care about that but sooner or later my
customers are asking for it. So I would pay for theme support in VCL,
if that could. If I have to write a letter to make that clear to the
management of my supplier I will rather look for another supplier!
I don't *want* to pay for bugfixes either. I am prepared to pay if it
is the only way to get them though, and right now there are bugs in
BCB6 I would be prepared to pay the typical upgrade price to see fixed.
Personally I would rather see a BCB6.5 than BCB7, although I seem to be
in a minority on that one ;?)
AlisdairM(TeamB)

{smallsort}

Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
Do you think this is even remotely likely? (the pricing policy, I
mean)
I believe that is already the plan for Delphi/C#, although as ever wait
until the product ships to be sure.
AlisdairM(TeamB)

"Alisdair Meredith" wrote:
Personally I would rather see a BCB6.5 than BCB7, although I seem to be
in a minority on that one ;?)
I want a _good_ CBX. I don't care much about form editors. It seems I'm the
really minority. But it seems Borland is developing new bugs for CBX. For
BCB that has to be seen yet.
Peter

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"Alisdair Meredith" <alisdair.meredith@ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Peter Agricola wrote:

>I don't want to pay for a bug fix. I don't mind to pay for supporting
>a new feature, even if I haven't asked for it. When uncle Bill
>introduces themes I don't care about that but sooner or later my
>customers are asking for it. So I would pay for theme support in VCL,
>if that could. If I have to write a letter to make that clear to the
>management of my supplier I will rather look for another supplier!

I don't *want* to pay for bugfixes either. I am prepared to pay if it
is the only way to get them though, and right now there are bugs in
BCB6 I would be prepared to pay the typical upgrade price to see fixed.

Personally I would rather see a BCB6.5 than BCB7, although I seem to be
in a minority on that one ;?)
I don't think so. I'd much prefer to get a stable old version than a new
one with new bugs!
- Dennis

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>writes:
Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:

>(Plus it'd be nice to get several
>languages for the price of one...)

Do you think this is even remotely likely? (the pricing policy, I mean)
IMHO, it'd be a mistake to try to charge like it's multple products
when most people are only interested in one or two of them. I don't
like to guess or try to predict what execs or marketing will decide to
do, but I have a feeling the prices won't change much (if at all) when
the next version Delphi comes out.
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

I also agree with that, I can buy DiamondBack with Deplhi/C#/C++ but I dont
have any intention to write my code in three languages, I just
will use the language more confortable to program (obviously C++ :- ) )
Saludos
Sebastian
"Alisdair Meredith" <alisdair.meredith@ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
escribi?en el mensaje news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Kenneth de Camargo wrote:

>Do you think this is even remotely likely? (the pricing policy, I
>mean)

I believe that is already the plan for Delphi/C#, although as ever wait
until the product ships to be sure.

AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Harold,
If quality problems lowered BCB v5 and v6 sales then a new manager just looking at a
spreadsheet of BCB sales over the last 4 years is going to come to the wrong
conclusion about BCB's viability if that manager does not know how much quality
problems contributed to limiting BCB sales.
Harold Howe [TeamB] wrote:
One more thing, keep in mind that the people who will decide the fate of
BCB have not been with the company for very long. They probably don't
want to hear about how Borland screwed up 3 years ago by not releasing a
BCB5 IDE patch.

H^2

Alisdair Meredith wrote:
>Do you think this is even remotely likely? (the pricing policy, I
>mean)

I believe that is already the plan for Delphi/C#, although as ever
wait until the product ships to be sure.
The product integration is more or less a moot point; but the pricing
part doesn't look much like Borland's tradition.
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
IMHO, it'd be a mistake to try to charge like it's multple products
when most people are only interested in one or two of them. I don't
like to guess or try to predict what execs or marketing will decide to
do, but I have a feeling the prices won't change much (if at all) when
the next version Delphi comes out.
I hope you're right.
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/
* this is not a sig *

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Actually I think it 'should' be cheaper than BCB6, since it will use the
Delphi IDE (charge for it to Delphi developers ) and
the CBX compiler (charge for it to CBX developers). <G><G>
Saludos
Sebastian
"Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje

"Sebastian Ledesma" <labo(no_sp@m)solidyne1.com>wrote:
Actually I think it 'should' be cheaper than BCB6, since it will use the
Delphi IDE (charge for it to Delphi developers ) and
the CBX compiler (charge for it to CBX developers). <G><G>
There no longer is a "Delphi" IDE. The BDS IDE is a generic IDE
that currently has a Delphi (Win32), Delphi.NET and C#
personalities written for it. A C++ personality would still have
to written for C++ at the same resource cost as any of the other
languages.

Des O'Toole wrote:
"Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:4149dccc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Des O'Toole wrote:
>

>>"Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news:4149c9b4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>

>>>I can't discuss things because certain things say I can't discuss them,
>>>but what I can discuss, is that some folks who can't discuss things, have
>>>been waiting a LOT LONGER than most, to know about things that they can't
>>>discuss why they can't discuss the thing itself.
>>>

>>I'm not sure if you're allowed to publicly express an opinion, but if you
>>are, what do you personally think the chances are of a new BCB release?
>>
>>Des
>>

>I can't discuss whether I can discuss it or not ....because if I discussed
>it, I would be discussing something I can't discuss whether I could
>discuss it or not. But I can discuss that I'm DISGUSTED at this point with
>the state of things.

I just wondered if you got anything in return after you sold your soul.

Des

Hell no !

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr. wrote:
Hell no !
If only you said that to your quoting style <g>Please, quote properly.
.a