BDS 2006 Merge Modules

2006-02-16 06:21:39 PM
cppbuilder62
POSTED THIS IN THE DEPLOYMENT NG BUT GOT NO RESPONSE...
When I started deploying BCB 6 apps I had to copy the Borland
Merge Modules to the Common Files\Merge Modules directory so
that InstallShield could see them.
I have just come to do the same for BDS 2006 but there are no
Merge Modules? Are they hiding somewhere?
Andy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

"Andy Walker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

POSTED THIS IN THE DEPLOYMENT NG BUT GOT NO RESPONSE...

When I started deploying BCB 6 apps I had to copy the Borland
that InstallShield could see them.

I have just come to do the same for BDS 2006 but there are no
Merge Modules? Are they hiding somewhere?

Andy

PLEASE? Anybody know what's hapenning with this?
I'm going to post in the Delphi Deployment group now to see if I get any joy there.
I'm not multi-posting, I'm just posting in multiple places :)
Andy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

When I started deploying BCB 6 apps I had to copy the Borland
Merge Modules into Common Files\Merge Modules so that
InstallShield could see them.
I have just come to do the same for BDS 2006 but there are no
Merge Modules? Are they hiding somewhere?
I'm running C++ Builder 2006 but I've had no joy with this
question in the C++ ng.
Thanks,
Andy

{smallsort}

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

"Andy Walker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

When I started deploying BCB 6 apps I had to copy the Borland
Merge Modules to the Common Files\Merge Modules directory so
that InstallShield could see them.

I have just come to do the same for BDS 2006 but there are no
Merge Modules? Are they hiding somewhere?
Is this just BDE? (bdeinst.cab) It doesn't seem to be supplied with BDS2006,
but you should be able to use a copy from your BCB6 install.
FWIW, check out this page www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?bde for a
patch to fix the annoying disk space messages. Not to mention a far superior
installer, IMO...
- Roddy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

news:43f46043$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>When I started deploying BCB 6 apps I had to copy the Borland
>Merge Modules to the Common Files\Merge Modules directory so
>that InstallShield could see them.
>
>I have just come to do the same for BDS 2006 but there are no
>Merge Modules? Are they hiding somewhere?

Is this just BDE? (bdeinst.cab) It doesn't seem to be supplied with BDS2006,
but you should be able to use a copy from your BCB6 install.
Thanks Roddy but that isn't the only one missing. NONE of the
Merge Modules seem to be included with BDS so how are we
supposed to deploy applications? How do I deploy the RTL,
dbExpress, BDE, etc. Yes, I could use BCB6 Merge Modules but
I'm hoping that they have been updated since then?
I've posted this in quite a few groups now and nobody seems to
be answering the question, which suggests that either nobody
knows the answer or, I'm missing a point somewhere?
Are Merge Modules still a valid deployment methodology?
Is there any way I can phone Borland to get a definitive
support response?
Thanks for the reply anyway,
Andy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

>Are Merge Modules still a valid deployment methodology?

If they're not shipped, I guess that's a 'no' :(

They certainly aren't installed on my machine, but that may be because I
didn't bother to install installshield with BDS2006.

But they are installed with BCB6 whether you install
InstallShield or not.
What confuses me is that Merge Modules are still discussed in
the help and I remember seeing a whole topic relating to
manual amendments for the BDE Merge Modules.
How, can I deploy the BDE and setup aliases WITHOUT a Merge
Module?
Thanks for you response,
Andy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

"Andy Walker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Thanks Roddy but that isn't the only one missing. NONE of the
Merge Modules seem to be included with BDS so how are we
supposed to deploy applications? How do I deploy the RTL,
dbExpress, BDE, etc. Yes, I could use BCB6 Merge Modules but
I'm hoping that they have been updated since then?

Are Merge Modules still a valid deployment methodology?
If they're not shipped, I guess that's a 'no' :(
They certainly aren't installed on my machine, but that may be because I
didn't bother to install installshield with BDS2006.
The usual choices are:-
a: build a monolithic .exe file (which is *exactly* what I'd recommend,
unless you're deploying large suites or related applications)
b: use runtime packages (.bpl files - basically dlls with knobs on) and
deploy them. [AFAIK, the merge modules are basically giftwrapped versions of
the runtime packages...?]
I believe you can contact Borland directly for telephone support, but unless
you have an SA contract, it will cost you some $$. Try your regional
office...
- Roddy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:21:14 GMT, Andy Walker wrote:
POSTED THIS IN THE DEPLOYMENT NG BUT GOT NO RESPONSE...
Hoi Andy
Properly because you are not using the Borland news server.
You need to repost your question on the Borland news server to make
everybody see it and possibly answer your question.
Take a look here:
<tinyurl.com/8m5nw>
which links to
<delphi.wikicities.com/wiki/Delphi_Newsgroups>

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

Hi Riki,
Unfortunately, the deployment group doesn't seem to be visible from the news
server BUT it is visible from
newsgroups.borland.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb&utag=
Hmmmm??
Maybe somebody here can answer the question anyway?
Andy

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:06:33 GMT, Andy Walker wrote:
Unfortunately, the deployment group doesn't seem to be visible from the news
server BUT it is visible from
newsgroups.borland.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb&utag=
The group is there, just downloaded it, and your message is there.
Maybe somebody here can answer the question anyway?
Not likely here, But check with you in the b.p.d.deployment group, that is
your best chance.
Doei Riki Wiki

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

Thats strange Riki, wonder why I can't see it? I've refreshed my newsgroups
too and it still isn't there. The only NGs with Borland and Deployment in
the title are JBuilder and Kylix.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Andy
"Riki Wiki" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:06:33 GMT, Andy Walker wrote:

>Unfortunately, the deployment group doesn't seem to be visible from the
>news
>server BUT it is visible from
>newsgroups.borland.com/cgi-bin/dnewsweb&utag=

The group is there, just downloaded it, and your message is there.

>Maybe somebody here can answer the question anyway?

Not likely here, But check with you in the b.p.d.deployment group, that is
your best chance.

Doei Riki Wiki

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

Hi Andy!
If your setup is not very comples, why don't you have a look at InnoSetup.
It is very good, it is free and it is giving you small setup files.
I am using this as my primary setup tool now and I have never experienced
special problems with this compared to InstallShield.
www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
Kind regards
TorB.
****
"Andy Walker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >skrev i melding

When I started deploying BCB 6 apps I had to copy the Borland
Merge Modules into Common Files\Merge Modules so that
InstallShield could see them.

I have just come to do the same for BDS 2006 but there are no
Merge Modules? Are they hiding somewhere?

I'm running C++ Builder 2006 but I've had no joy with this
question in the C++ ng.

Thanks,

Andy

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

How, can I deploy the BDE and setup aliases WITHOUT a Merge
Module?

You can dowload the BDE merge module from the InstallShiled web site.

Re:BDS 2006 Merge Modules

"Mark Guerrieri" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>How, can I deploy the BDE and setup aliases WITHOUT a Merge
>Module?

You can dowload the BDE merge module from the InstallShiled web site.

Thank you Mark.