Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

2006-04-02 09:47:03 AM
cppbuilder23
At 00:02:52, 02.04.2006, Mark Jacobs wrote:
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>What can I say? "It's not working yet" is a little vague. And in
>Mark's case, I know he tends to say things do not work just from
>hearsay, or just because he didn't quite understand what a feature
>was supposed to do.

What, like the interactive help feature?
I have no idea what you mean with "interactive help". If you mean context
sensitive help (e.g. F1 on an identifier in the editor or the OI), that
works. It is not perfect, and could be more specific, and doesn't always
find every word, but all in all, it works, like the rest of the product.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>Was Gandhi talking about Borland?

Look at when he died.
Repeat after me:
"Concrete thinking is bad."

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>There is nothing wrong with or funny about that. There is IMO something
>funny (or fishy) about your adversary reaction to almost everything I say
>here, though.

I barely posted for weeks. I hadn't replied to you for
even longer. You, however, post rather generously every
day. I find it very hard to see how you draw the above
conclusion from that.
Oh it is just Rudy.
Ignore him.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

At 08:00:18, 02.04.2006, < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>>Was Gandhi talking about Borland?
>
>Look at when he died.

Repeat after me:
"Concrete thinking is bad."
So don't. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"A picture is worth a thousand words (which is why it takes a thousand

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

At 20:53:22, 01.04.2006, Hendrik Schober wrote:
>There is IMO
>something funny (or fishy) about your adversary reaction to almost
>everything I say here, though.

I barely posted for weeks. I hadn't replied to you for
even longer.
And yet the impression persists. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
At 01:16:58, 02.04.2006, Kenneth de Camargo wrote:

>>>Is it literal thinking week again?
>>
>>No, it was just an answer to the question. He can't have thought
>>of this Borland. <g>
>
>Who knows what social engineering might have produced even at his
>time.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, wrong group. <eg>
So say you - more social engineering, see?
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
I have no idea what you mean with "interactive help". If you mean
context sensitive help (e.g. F1 on an identifier in the editor or the
OI), that works. It is not perfect, and could be more specific, and
doesn't always find every word, but all in all, it works, like the
rest of the product.
The help system is a bunch of {*word*99}, but MS is to blame on that one.
WinHelp or the first HTML help are both preferrable to that s...thing.
--

At 20:31:00, 02.04.2006, Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>I have no idea what you mean with "interactive help". If you mean
>context sensitive help (e.g. F1 on an identifier in the editor or the
>OI), that works. It is not perfect, and could be more specific, and
>doesn't always find every word, but all in all, it works, like the
>rest of the product.

The help system is a bunch of {*word*99}, but MS is to blame on that one.
WinHelp or the first HTML help are both preferrable to that s...thing.
It needs some getting used to, but it is IMO not worse than WinHelp. What
is missing are a lot of content and foremost a lot of links that were
present in BCB6 and D7.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
>The help system is a bunch of {*word*99}, but MS is to blame on that one.
>WinHelp or the first HTML help are both preferrable to that
>s...thing.

It needs some getting used to, but it is IMO not worse than WinHelp.
Oh, yes it is. For one thing, it is {*word*76}y s-l-o-w, even on this
machine (P4 3.3 MHz, 1M RAM). Invoking the help system takes almost as
long as loading the IDE. OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture.
:) And as long as Borland adopts that, there isn't much they can do
about it, I think.
What is missing are a lot of content and foremost a lot of links that
were present in BCB6 and D7.
A good number of them, yes, but I believe this is more easily solvable.
--

"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>wrote:
Oh, yes it is. For one thing, it is {*word*76}y s-l-o-w, even on this
machine (P4 3.3 MHz, 1M RAM).
Might I suggest a little more RAM? Maybe a thousand times as much *grin*
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

At 22:13:11, 02.04.2006, Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>>The help system is a bunch of {*word*99}, but MS is to blame on that one.
>>WinHelp or the first HTML help are both preferrable to that
>>s...thing.
>
>It needs some getting used to, but it is IMO not worse than WinHelp.

Oh, yes it is. For one thing, it is {*word*76}y s-l-o-w, even on this
machine (P4 3.3 MHz, 1M RAM).
Well, the minimum is AFAIK 512M, so you'll have some upgrading to do.
<veg>OK, let's assume you meant 1G.
Invoking the help system takes almost as
long as loading the IDE. OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture.
It doesn't take that long on my machine. OK, it does not load almost
immediately, like lightweight WinHelp (which was severely handicapped,
BTW), but otherwise, it is just as good, AFAICS.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

Alan Bellingham wrote:
"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>wrote:

>Oh, yes it is. For one thing, it is {*word*76}y s-l-o-w, even on this
>machine (P4 3.3 MHz, 1M RAM).

Might I suggest a little more RAM? Maybe a thousand times as much grin
Hey, I just had the prefix, not the unit. :)
--

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Well, the minimum is AFAIK 512M, so you'll have some upgrading to do.
<veg>
*WHACK!*
OK, let's assume you meant 1G.
Or, 1 Mega-Mega-Bytes. <g>
It doesn't take that long on my machine. OK, it does not load almost
immediately, like lightweight WinHelp (which was severely handicapped,
BTW), but otherwise, it is just as good, AFAICS.
Everything in it is slow. Searching is slow. Even changing tabs is
slow. If WinHelp was/is handicapped, so is MS DocViewer, at least as
far as performance goes. If WinHelp wasn't an option, HTMLHelp could be.
--

At 23:00:45, 02.04.2006, Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:

>Well, the minimum is AFAIK 512M, so you'll have some upgrading to do.
><veg>

*WHACK!*

>OK, let's assume you meant 1G.

Or, 1 Mega-Mega-Bytes. <g>
No, just one kilo-mega-bytes.
>It doesn't take that long on my machine. OK, it does not load almost
>immediately, like lightweight WinHelp (which was severely handicapped,
>BTW), but otherwise, it is just as good, AFAICS.

Everything in it is slow. Searching is slow.
Not in my experience.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"A witty saying proves nothing."

Re:Re: DevCo Luminaries Chat

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
>>OK, let's assume you meant 1G.
>
>Or, 1 Mega-Mega-Bytes. <g>

No, just one kilo-mega-bytes.
OK, it's official: I need to sleep.
>Everything in it is slow. Searching is slow.

Not in my experience.
Then pray tell me the secret. Maybe I didn't sacrifice wnough chickens?