Developing in a Virtual PC

2008-06-03 06:00:14 AM
cppbuilder62
Hi all,
I have been playing around with Virtual PC for doing my development.
Has anyone had any luck with this - so far my experiences has been
good, however I have not finished setting up everything yet.
I have just finished putting together a PC with the following specs...
1. AMD Phenom 9850+ Quad Core
2. Megabyte MA790FX-DS5 with BIOS upgrade to F5 from F3 for Phenom support
3. 4(2x2) Gigs of Patriot RAM running at 800 MHz (supposed to run at
1066 but it keeps BSODing - It took me a while to figure out it was the
RAM).
4. Vista Business Edition - 64 Bit.
5. 8800 GTS EVGA Graphics Card. (CUDA compatible).
I tried to install C++ Builder in the environment directly but with
little success, and my time has run out w.r.t. playing around with
configurations and the like (Hey I have lots of work to do).
So I installed my XP Pro 32bit CD in the virtual PC and all looks really
well.
The best part is I have this 6 gigs file (so far) that is practically
portable and can develop anywhere, without creating multiple
installations where one environment is slightly different from the
other; if you have to upgrade one you have to upgrade all...etc.etc...
So any comments and/or further suggestions.
Thanks
Colin B Maharaj
Trinidad, WI.

Re:Developing in a Virtual PC

Colin B Maharaj wrote:
Hi all,
I have been playing around with Virtual PC for doing my development.
Has anyone had any luck with this - so far my experiences has been
good, however I have not finished setting up everything yet.
I do all of my development in VMware virtual machines now. I have three
XP development systems; one for BCB6, one for BDS4 (2006) and one for
RAD Studio 2007. This allows mw to use my computer (currently 64-bit
Vista) for {*word*143}, etc and if I reinstall my computer (which I do about
every year), my development systems are intact.
It also is handy for testing in a virtual/real network.
--
-Michael Gillen
Hollister, CA

Re:Developing in a Virtual PC

Why VMWare?
I already see that Virtual PC cannot do USB ports(?)
Thanks for the response so far...
Colin..
Michael Gillen wrote:
Colin B Maharaj wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have been playing around with Virtual PC for doing my development.
>Has anyone had any luck with this - so far my experiences has been
>good, however I have not finished setting up everything yet.

I do all of my development in VMware virtual machines now. I have three
XP development systems; one for BCB6, one for BDS4 (2006) and one for
RAD Studio 2007. This allows mw to use my computer (currently 64-bit
Vista) for {*word*143}, etc and if I reinstall my computer (which I do about
every year), my development systems are intact.

It also is handy for testing in a virtual/real network.

{smallsort}

"Colin B Maharaj" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:48467355$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Why VMWare?
I already see that Virtual PC cannot do USB ports(?)

I use Virtual PC 2007 even though VMWare is much better, faster, etc..
I don't like how VMWare installs services running as Admin...

Colin B Maharaj wrote:
Why VMWare?
I already see that Virtual PC cannot do USB ports(?)

Thanks for the response so far...
Colin..

In my case, I have been using VMware for a few years and also have a
Linux VM for development.
VMware DOES do USB ports. I test our USB audio recorders in a virtual
machine to test the installation of drivers on a clean system.
--
-Michael Gillen
Hollister, CA

Re:Developing in a Virtual PC

I use VMware Server 1.0.* at office and enjoy VirtualBox at home. Both
of them have better performance and more features (like USB support)
than Virtual PC 2007.
Lex Y. Li