Questions on performance using CPP Builder 4 databse related classes

Hi All,
   I am trying to use the Locate call of the TTable class and 'm findind
it to take much longer time thant expected.My concerned table is
indexed.Further more, setting the property Active to true is also taking
much time.
Can anyone suggest and help me out?
In addition I want to know , if I'm calling the dataset specfic
functions from a multi threaded program do I need to wrap the codes
within Synchronize wrapper?And do I need to set the Exclusive property
of the tables concerned ( inside the threads) to true before accessing
them?
Thanking in advance
Rinki Deb Ray