runtime error running outside IDE

Henk,

> "Access violation at address 202587B in Module "MO20.OCX" write of address FFFFFFFF"

> What is going wrong here?

> Any way I run the program (OUTSIDE of the IDE and) in ANOTHER directory, I get this error!

> Any suggestions how to tackle this problem?

An access violation means that your application has tried (or caused
some other module to try) to access something it isn't allowed to.
Most likely you have a corrupt or invalid pointer.

Unfortunately there's not a lot more anyone can say on the basis of
your message as it's perhaps the programming equivalent of going to a
doctor and saying "Something hurts". The important point being that
an AV can be caused by almost anything and can occur almost anywhere
in your code..or indeed in someone else's code if you lead it astray.
Worse still the symptoms of the AV can occur a long way away from the
root cause.

Run your program under the de{*word*81} and look at the code surrounding
the line where the AV is reported (the de{*word*81} will take you to the
offending line of code). If the problem doesn't occur under the de{*word*81}
then you'll have to insert debug statements in strategic points and check
which ones are not reached. Alternatively you might be able to get the IDE
to attach to the process and debug it from that point.

It's possible that the AV is outside of your application. In this case
the de{*word*81} will only be able to show you the assembler code and CPU
registers. If this happens bring up the stack window and follow it
down until you find one of your functions listed. Press [RETURN] to go
to that line.

The actual problem may be earlier still - consider this code:

  void a( char *b )
  {
    strlen( b );
  }

  void c( char *d )
  {
    a( d );
  }

  void e()
  {
    c( NULL );
  }

In this case the topmost function on the call stack when the AV
occurs is a() but the cause of the AV is the call to c() in function e().

Having determined which line is causing the AV post it here and
someone will probably try and help. Please note though that AVs are
amongst the hardest errors to find. Even the most experienced programmers
can spend several days trying to track the worst cases down and that's
in their own source code. I don't guarantee that anyone'll be able to help but
we can try <s>.

--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Team Thai Kingdom

Re:runtime error running outside IDE

Having successfully completed an application in the C++Builder environment, I tried to install it on another machine as well as in a separate folder
on the development machine. In both cases there appeared a runtime error like:

"Access violation at address 202587B in Module "MO20.OCX" write of address FFFFFFFF"

What is going wrong here?

Any way I run the program (OUTSIDE of the IDE and) in ANOTHER directory, I get this error!

Any suggestions how to tackle this problem?

Re:runtime error running outside IDE

An error at address FFFFFFFF usually means that a NULL pointer for
dereferenced.  Double-check all of your pointer usage.

Gambit

"henk" <henk.vanno...@net.hcc.nl> wrote in message

> Having successfully completed an application in the C++Builder
> environment, I tried to install it on another machine as well as in
> a separate folder on the development machine. In both cases
> there appeared a runtime error like:

> "Access violation at address 202587B in Module "MO20.OCX"
> write of address FFFFFFFF"

Re:runtime error running outside IDE

TNKS for the suggestions/help; I will try my best on them...

BUT there is the question of HOW can this happen while executing
the program independent of the IDE while it is NOT causing any
problem inside the IDE????

Other Threads