Minus key not generating events

Nice to start the week with weird problem :)

The system in question is:

  BCB5+Patch 1
  Win2K+SP2

I've just noticed that in at least one of our applications the minus
key (next to '0') doesn't generate either an OnKeyDown or OnKeyPress
event. The key itself is working because it works for other programs
and because '_' (underscore) generates both events as do other keys.

My first thought was that perhaps (though it is only faintly
possible) some other component was trapping the key. I've now
discovered that the '-' on the numeric keypad (top right) generates
both events.

FWIW this happens when running under the IDE and standalone.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this can be possible and/or what
could be grabbing the key?

Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:Minus key not generating events

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:34:23 +0100, Andrue Cope
<not.a.va...@email.address.sorry> wrote :

>Nice to start the week with weird problem :)

>The system in question is:

>  BCB5+Patch 1
>  Win2K+SP2

>I've just noticed that in at least one of our applications the minus
>key (next to '0') doesn't generate either an OnKeyDown or OnKeyPress
>event. The key itself is working because it works for other programs
>and because '_' (underscore) generates both events as do other keys.

>My first thought was that perhaps (though it is only faintly
>possible) some other component was trapping the key. I've now
>discovered that the '-' on the numeric keypad (top right) generates
>both events.

>FWIW this happens when running under the IDE and standalone.

>Does anyone have any thoughts on how this can be possible and/or what
>could be grabbing the key?

Perhaps it's a bug in one component - which component is it that isn't
catching the '-' ?

--
Martin

What I say is not true; I never speak the truth.

Re:Minus key not generating events

Martin,

> Perhaps it's a bug in one component - which component is it that isn't
> catching the '-' ?

It's derived from TForm.

Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:Minus key not generating events

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:20:05 +0100, Andrue Cope
<not.a.va...@email.address.sorry> wrote :

>Martin,

>> Perhaps it's a bug in one component - which component is it that isn't
>> catching the '-' ?

>It's derived from TForm.

A project of mine catches the '-' just like (almost) any other key.
Does your window get the windows message at all ? You can use a spy
(winsight for borland ?) program to have a look at this. If not,
there's probably some external program stealing your keys.

--
Martin

What I say is not true; I never speak the truth.

Other Threads