FTP Directory List Complete Notification

Subject FTP Directory List Complete Notification

I posted this question late last week with a different subject line, and
got no response.  Sorry for the re-post but I am somewhat stuck.

I successfully built and deployed an FTP program using TNMFTP (under C++
Builder Pro 3.0).  I am now in the process of converting all programs to
C++ Builder Pro 5.0.

I had only one problem under 3.0 that I was willing to live with.
That problem has been solved under 5.0 but a new problem has shown up.

When I obtain a directory listing from an FTP host, I sometimes do not
get the directory list complete notification (i.e., the OnSuccess event
handler of TNMFTP does not always fire with a "Trans_Type" of
"cmdList").  Please note that sometimes I do get the notification and
other times I do not.

Can anyone tell me why?

Kendall

Re:FTP Directory List Complete Notification

The NetMaster components are buggy, and no longer supported by Borland.  Try
using Indy or ICS instead.

Gambit

"Kendall Ferguson" <fergu...@xyzsofgps.com> wrote in message

> When I obtain a directory listing from an FTP host, I sometimes do not
> get the directory list complete notification (i.e., the OnSuccess event
> handler of TNMFTP does not always fire with a "Trans_Type" of
> "cmdList").  Please note that sometimes I do get the notification and
> other times I do not.

Re:FTP Directory List Complete Notification

Remy,

If they are not supported, why are they included with BCB5.0
professional?  I have a good bit of code based upon them!

Kendall

> If they are not supported, why are they included with BCB5.0
> professional?

Because official support wasn't withdrawn until after BCB5 was released.
It's starting with BCB6 now that Borland is officially supporting Indy
instead.

> I have a good bit of code based upon them!

Don't worry, BCB6 still provides them for backwards compatibility.  But you
should think about redesigning your code to use other components instead.
As I said, NetMasters are very buggy, and there's no tech support or source
code for them provided by Borland, so existing bugs can't get fixed.

I do notice that NetMasters themselves are still developing FastNet, so if
you must still use them, then go to http://www.netmastersllc.com for their
updates.  But you'll have to go through them directly from now on for
support.

Gambit

Re:FTP Directory List Complete Notification

Remy,

Thanks for the Info.  It is very much appreciated.  Please note that the
choice to remove something, and not put pressure on the developer, does
bother me.  Afterall, Borland encourages us to use the built in VCLs ...
so we do ... and then they are yanked out from under us.  I wonder what
will be pulled next ... Can I trust that features I have used, or want
to use, will be present in future versions?

Kendall

Remy Lebeau [TeamB] wrote:
> "Kendall Ferguson" <fergu...@xyzsofgps.com> wrote in message

>>If they are not supported, why are they included with BCB5.0
>>professional?

> Because official support wasn't withdrawn until after BCB5 was released.
> It's starting with BCB6 now that Borland is officially supporting Indy
> instead.

>>I have a good bit of code based upon them!

> Don't worry, BCB6 still provides them for backwards compatibility.  But you
> should think about redesigning your code to use other components instead.
> As I said, NetMasters are very buggy, and there's no tech support or source
> code for them provided by Borland, so existing bugs can't get fixed.

> I do notice that NetMasters themselves are still developing FastNet, so if
> you must still use them, then go to http://www.netmastersllc.com for their
> updates.  But you'll have to go through them directly from now on for
> support.

> Gambit

Re:FTP Directory List Complete Notification

Borland never pushed FastNet on us.  FastNet is bundled, not built-in,
there's a difference.  And you have to remember that FastNet is a
third-party package that just happens to be bundled with Builder.  It's not
made by Borland itself in any way, like most of the rest of the
pre-installed VCL is.

> Afterall, Borland encourages us to use the built in VCLs ... so we do ...
> and then they are yanked out from under us.

Re:FTP Directory List Complete Notification

Remy,

You will never convince me with the words that you have selected.  Yes,
I am well aware that Borland never "Pushed" FastNet on us.  Just like
MicroSoft never "Pushed" windows on us (that is, DOS users could remain
DOS users for a long time).  There came a time that you had to join up
with the Windows paradigm or be left behind.  So again, I will ask the
question -- a little more delicately.

The difference to me is a bit more revealing.  That is, normally when a
vendor "Bundles" another package into its package, there is a certain
amount of trust between the two parties.  In the past, I have always
trusted products released by Borland.  Sure I have had problems with the
tools, but Borland always addressed those problems (that is primarily
why I have been a Borland products user since the early 80's).  I guess
that blind trust has lead a long time user of Borland products to the
slaughter.

OK, so you got me on that one  -- you've won.  Can I trust Borland in
the future?  That is, how many of these currently "Bundled" packages
that we are basing our software upon will be yanked out from under our
feet in the future?  How do we determine which packages are really
supported by Borland and how many are there "bundled" just to make the
product look better?

Kendall

> OK, so you got me on that one  -- you've won.  Can I trust Borland in
> the future?

Of course.

> That is, how many of these currently "Bundled" packages that we are
> basing our software upon will be yanked out from under our feet in the
> future?

As I stated, FastNet was not "yanked out", it's still provided for backwards
compatibility, it's simply not the primary focus anymore.  And as I also
stated, you can still go to FastNet directly rather than Borland for tech
support and upgrades to the FastNet components, as it should be (in my
opinion) since FastNet has always been third-party to begin with.

Same thing with the BDE, for example.  The BDE is still provided for
backwards compatibility, but several other Database choices are provided as
well now.  Rather than focusing on a single product primarily, they're
diversifying now.

Gambit

Other Threads