can a sysop open this QC?

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
I'd like to have it looked into for Dexter since Borland have been urging
people to contribute to their QA program on the 24h. And it's a legitimate
bug that will affect a lot of people.

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

Zach Saw wrote:
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

I'd like to have it looked into for Dexter since Borland have been urging
people to contribute to their QA program on the 24h. And it's a legitimate
bug that will affect a lot of people.

I have requested the report be opened, but am only level 1 so can't open
it directly.
I think it would be worth attaching a buildable project to the report.
Some reports can get thrown out as test case error or can't reproduce if
the given code doesn't immediately compile, and your code requires the
tester to create a VCL app, add a button to it, paste part of the code
in the button handler and the other part outside of the button handler.
Also, the way I confirmed the report was to look at task manager. A
better way to show the problem. Looking at task manager doesn't
necessarily mean there is a memory leak.
Given the quantity of reports to go through, a buildable project that
demonstrates the problem easily has much more chance of being looked at.
But I completely understand that some problems are hard to reproduce
in a simple case. I have plenty of places where the IDE/compiler
crashes, but can't get them down to a reproducible test case because
they are random.
Cheers
Russell

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

Thanks for replying Russell.
While it's easy for me to create a project and attach it to the QC, it would
actually be more painful for the tester to check it out since the project
settings on my machine may be entirely different from theirs, and you know
how builder loves dealing with projects from one computer to another...
There are other ways of confirming memory leak -- FastMM or Memproof both
will report the leak. It is actually through Task Manager that I realised
there's a leak, but I confirmed it with FastMM & Memproof before filing it.
I think I did mention in my comments about CodeGuard not being able to catch
it.
Thanks for the suggestions anyway.
BTW, I too face a lot of random crashes from the IDE, but I bet the Borland
guys will think it's our own component that causes it to crash... They're
very well trained at giving out "not our fault" statements...
"Russell Hind" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Zach Saw wrote:
>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>
>I'd like to have it looked into for Dexter since Borland have been urging
>people to contribute to their QA program on the 24h. And it's a
>legitimate bug that will affect a lot of people.

I have requested the report be opened, but am only level 1 so can't open
it directly.

I think it would be worth attaching a buildable project to the report.
Some reports can get thrown out as test case error or can't reproduce if
the given code doesn't immediately compile, and your code requires the
tester to create a VCL app, add a button to it, paste part of the code in
the button handler and the other part outside of the button handler.

Also, the way I confirmed the report was to look at task manager. A
better way to show the problem. Looking at task manager doesn't
necessarily mean there is a memory leak.

Given the quantity of reports to go through, a buildable project that
demonstrates the problem easily has much more chance of being looked at.
But I completely understand that some problems are hard to reproduce in a
simple case. I have plenty of places where the IDE/compiler crashes, but
can't get them down to a reproducible test case because they are random.

Cheers

Russell

{smallsort}

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

Zach Saw wrote:

While it's easy for me to create a project and attach it to the QC, it would
actually be more painful for the tester to check it out since the project
settings on my machine may be entirely different from theirs, and you know
how builder loves dealing with projects from one computer to another...

The easiest thing to do is check that the include statements are just
$(BCB)\include
$(BCB)\include\vcl
And the same for the lib and that no other paths are specified such as
intermediate output/pre-compiled header etc (which is a pain as I have
changed the defaults for these on new projects!)
After that, it should move from machine to machine ok.
Cheers
Russell

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

Russell,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll get to that if I have some time to spare. Right now I've got a bigger
issue on hand -- BCB 6 apps can't run stably on dualCPU / HT machines...
:( I get tonnes of memory corruption...

"Zach Saw" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I'll get to that if I have some time to spare. Right now I've got a bigger
issue on hand -- BCB 6 apps can't run stably on dualCPU / HT machines...
:( I get tonnes of memory corruption...
These are multi-threaded apps, or single-threaded apps?
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

multithreaded apps.
only multithreaded apps on HT / dualCPU machines will fail.
Memproof reveals memory access overrun in AnsiString and some VCL classes.
"Alan Bellingham" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Zach Saw" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>I'll get to that if I have some time to spare. Right now I've got a bigger
>issue on hand -- BCB 6 apps can't run stably on dualCPU / HT machines...
>:( I get tonnes of memory corruption...

These are multi-threaded apps, or single-threaded apps?

Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

only multithreaded apps on HT / dualCPU machines will fail.

Memproof reveals memory access overrun in AnsiString and some VCL classes.
Only when you run with HT enabled or on dualCPU machines...

Re:can a sysop open this QC?

"Zach Saw" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>only multithreaded apps on HT / dualCPU machines will fail.
>
>Memproof reveals memory access overrun in AnsiString and some VCL classes.

Only when you run with HT enabled or on dualCPU machines...
Ah. That's why I haven't seen it. I'm using BCB5 on a dual CPU machine
(and have been for years), but I don't use AnsiString or the VCL when
multithreading.
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK