Recompile C++ RTL DLL?

2006-10-21 03:29:59 AM
cppbuilder74
Sorry for so many posts all of the sudden, but I figure seperate posts are better than clumping everything together. I could probably resolve a lot of my memory issues if I could use the dynamic RTL option. The only reason I haven't already switched over to the dynamic RTL is because I've had to modify files.c and files2.c and build them into a few of my projects, along with a modified _nfile.h, in order to use open() to open more than 50 files at once.
If I switch to the dynamic RTL, unless I can rebuild it easily with this change, I'll have to figure out some other way around this issue. Is the C++ RTL easy to rebuild? I've looked into rebuilding the VCL libraries, and I know that is pretty much impossible -- is the C++ RTL about the same?

Re:Recompile C++ RTL DLL?

Hi Eselk,
Ok, I'm curious, why are you using open() and not
fopen()? (of course there are a dozen other options)
I'm just curious...
Thanks,
Bruce

Re:Recompile C++ RTL DLL?

eselk wrote:
If I switch to the dynamic RTL, unless I can rebuild it easily with this
change, I'll have to figure out some other way around this issue. Is the
C++ RTL easy to rebuild? I've looked into rebuilding the VCL libraries,
and I know that is pretty much impossible -- is the C++ RTL about the same?
No. You can rebuild the C++ RTL. Borland provides everything you need.
At least, they are supposed to. In BCB6 they accidentally left out some
pieces that were needed to build the RTL. I haven't tried with BCB 2006.
Note however, that I don't think you are allowed to rebuild the dynamic
RTL. Only the static libs. The reason for this is that Borland doesn't
want you to deploy a modified versions of the RTL DLL to the world.
Doing so could impact other apps that were built with BCB.
H^2
remove .bounce from email

{smallsort}

Re:Recompile C++ RTL DLL?

The choice was made long before I was involved. Does fopen() have a larger limit of open file handles? I haven't used that function very much, not in years, does it allow you to specify sharing modes, like deny-write and deny-none?
Bruce Larrabee < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

Hi Eselk,

Ok, I'm curious, why are you using open() and not
fopen()? (of course there are a dozen other options)
I'm just curious...

Thanks,

Bruce

Re:Recompile C++ RTL DLL?

OK, so I imagine I would need to get those missing pieces since I have BCB6, but I'm sure they are available if I end up going that route. If I did build my own, I would need it to be the dynamic version, which I would hope I could rebuild as long as I rename it to avoid Borland's issue with allowing that.
I guess another option might be to build my own DLL with the static RTL, and my modified versions of files.c and files2.c, which exports every RTL function -- and then link all of my apps to that. I've created wrapper or stub DLLs before, and the amount of work involved is usually directly related to the number of exports the DLL has -- yuck -- I think the C++ RTL has a TON.

eselk wrote:
OK, so I imagine I would need to get those missing pieces since I
have BCB6, but I'm sure they are available if I end up going that
route. If I did build my own, I would need it to be the dynamic
version, which I would hope I could rebuild as long as I rename it to
avoid Borland's issue with allowing that.
The missing pieces were fixed with a patch. If you have the most current
BCB6 patch, you should be able to build the RTL.
The makefile for the RTL may build the dynamic RTL. I just don't remember.
H^2
remove .bounce from email