How to exchange data with a TServiceApplication

2003-12-11 04:58:26 PM
cppbuilder5
Hi,
I have an application that reads and writes from/to a DIO-card. The reading
and writing is preformed in a separate thread. Sometimes the time between
two reads is too long, so I need to do something about it. I think that this
routine could very well run as a NT service, and hopefully scan the DIO-card
in predefined intervals.
What would be the best way to achieve the client-server communication?
Thanks for all ideas,
Kaj Christensen

Re:How to exchange data with a TServiceApplication

"KajC" <x>wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
What would be the best way to achieve the client-server communication?
There is no "best" way, because there are several different ways to handle
it, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. You could use COM, named
piped, TCP sockets, RPC, memory mappings, etc. The "best" solution is
whatever fits best into your application's design. I myself make my
services into COM servers and use connection points for triggering events
back to the client application. But I am also migrating some of my services
to use TCP sockets instead. But that is just me. You have to decide what
works best for you.
Gambit

Re:How to exchange data with a TServiceApplication

Thanks Remy for your answer.
If speed is in concern, is there one or two ways to preferred?
// Kaj

"KajC" <x>wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>What would be the best way to achieve the client-server communication?

There is no "best" way, because there are several different ways to handle
it, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. You could use COM,
named
piped, TCP sockets, RPC, memory mappings, etc. The "best" solution is
whatever fits best into your application's design. I myself make my
services into COM servers and use connection points for triggering events
back to the client application. But I am also migrating some of my
services
to use TCP sockets instead. But that is just me. You have to decide what
works best for you.

Gambit

{smallsort}