English to Korean text

2004-06-03 12:02:21 AM
cppbuilder70
Hi,
I am attempting to convert the English text in my program to Korean. I have noticed that the text beside the TRadioButton controls (i.e. Selecting different password levels such as L1, L2, L3, etc.), the text within the TComboBox control, and some text on the TButton controls (i.e. "OK" button) did not translate to the Korean language. I have changed the character set and font required for this change relative to Borland C++ Professional Version 5.0 (Build 12.34). I have also installed Korean windows, which caused the text to look worse. Does anyone have any other information or useful ideas to assist me with this matter?
Thanks,
ahigg

Re:English to Korean text

On 2 Jun 2004 09:02:21 -0700, AHigg wrote:
I have also installed Korean windows, which caused the text to look worse.
That depends on what you mean by "did not translate to the Korean
language". As written it is implying the impossible since no component is
going to perform language translation for you.
Do you perhaps mean that the characters chosen are not quite the correct
ones? That's what I'd expect you to mean and there is a good reason for it.
The VCL can only display using 8-bit ASCII. That means there are only 256
possible characters each component can display at a time. A lot of these
have specific meanings and cannot be changed. If a language uses an
'alphabet' of a hundred or more characters it is going to have to
compromise. There are simply not enough available codes to represent that
number of entities.
You can see the range available by using the Character Map applet provided
with all versions of Windows.
The only solution to this problem is to find a component that can display
using 16-bit (Unicode) characters. The one we use with great success is
TsiLang (www.sicomponents.com/tsilang1.html)
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]

Re:English to Korean text

"AHigg" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

I am attempting to convert the English text in my program to Korean. I
have noticed that the text beside the TRadioButton controls (i.e. Selecting
different password levels such as L1, L2, L3, etc.), the text within the
TComboBox control, and some text on the TButton controls (i.e. "OK" button)
did not translate to the Korean language. I have changed the character set
and font required for this change relative to Borland C++ Professional
Version 5.0 (Build 12.34). I have also installed Korean windows, which
caused the text to look worse. Does anyone have any other information or
useful ideas to assist me with this matter?
Did you see my response in borland.public.cppbuilder.internationalization?
- Dennis

{smallsort}