An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

2007-06-20 05:09:03 PM
cppbuilder56
Hi.
I select console application and get the following error message then try to
compile template console program
"Cannot open file C:\Program
Files\BORLAND\CBuilder5\Projects\Files\BORLAMD\CBuilder5\lib\vcl50csm
I think that I changed some settings by accident. What should I do to
restore the previous state of BCB 5.0 ?
Vladimir Grigoriev

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

Perhaps I changed $(BCB) macro. Where and how can I restore the previous
value of the macro?
Vladimir Grigoriev

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

csm is the default name for the pre-compiled header output file. Look at
"Project | Options | Compiler | Pre-compiled headers | File name". It
should be "$(BCB)\lib\vcl50.csm". Though, if you add custom headers to be
pre-compiled you should change that to your own file. Also, unless you
mistyped the filename in your post make sure there is a period in the
filename (vcl50csm versus vcl50.csm).
- Clayton

{smallsort}

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

I checked my setting and confirmed that I have in the field 'File name'
(Project Options/Compiler) the same string as you showed
$(BCB)\\lib\vcl50.csm
I am interesting where is the macro $(BCB) set?
Vladimir Grigoriev

Vladimir Grigoriev wrote:
Perhaps I changed $(BCB) macro. Where and how can I restore the previous
value of the macro?
When you build from the IDE, BCB is calculated for you. There should not
be anything realistic that you can do to mess it up. In theory anyway.
Try looking in the registry.
HLM\SOFTWARE\Borland\C++Builder\5.0\RootDir. See what it has for a value.
If you are building from a make file, then BCB is set manually. If you
generated the makefile, it looks like this:
BCB = $(MAKEDIR)\..
This assignment can get messed up if you have a different version of
make is somehow found when you build. Is C++Builder the only version of
BCB you have? Has this machine ever had a different version of
C++Builder installed? Again, for IDE builds, this shouldn't matter.
H^2

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

Note that when using a make file Delphi may also have make.exe and if it
appears first in the system path, MAKEDIR will point to one of Delphi's
directories and not to a path in the C++ area.
. Ed
Harold Howe wrote in message
news:467ab243$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

When you build from the IDE, BCB is calculated for you. There should not
be anything realistic that you can do to mess it up. In theory anyway. Try
looking in the registry. HLM\SOFTWARE\Borland\C++Builder\5.0\RootDir. See
what it has for a value.

If you are building from a make file, then BCB is set manually. If you
generated the makefile, it looks like this:

BCB = $(MAKEDIR)\..

This assignment can get messed up if you have a different version of make
is somehow found when you build. Is C++Builder the only version of BCB you
have? Has this machine ever had a different version of C++Builder
installed? Again, for IDE builds, this shouldn't matter.

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

The problem occurs when I work with IDE.
I found in the Registry the following Registry path
HKEY_USERS\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0
but inside it there is not such element as RootDir.
I see the following
...Main Window, OpenHelp, Palette, Palette Defaults, Print Selection,
Replace, Repository, Search,...
Vladimir Grigoriev

"Vladimir Grigoriev" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The problem occurs when I work with IDE.
I found in the Registry the following Registry path
HKEY_USERS\Software\Borland\C++Builder\5.0
but inside it there is not such element as RootDir.
Wrong key. Look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Dennis

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

I select console application and get the following error message then try to
compile template console program
If you are seeing an error in all new projects,
the first thing to do would be to check for the
existence of the file, ..\bin\default.bpr. If that
file exists, delete it to get back to default defaults
for subsquent new projects. default.bpr is created
when you once click OK in the Project Options
dialog while the default checkbox is set ON.
--Craig

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

Well, Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE I have
C:\Program Files\Borland\CBuilder5
And what should I do to recover my BCB?
Vladimir Grigoriev
"Dennis Jones" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Wrong key. Look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

- Dennis

Re:An error message saying that vcl50.csm file cannot be open.

No, I have not ...bin\default.bpr
Vladimir Grigoriev