Board index » cppbuilder » owl library: anyone knows anything?

owl library: anyone knows anything?


2005-03-04 11:58:09 PM
cppbuilder52
Hello,
Here is a really desperate call for help.
I have to modify an executable written in 98 using a version of Borland
C++. Unfortunately, no one can tell me more about it. All I know is
that it uses a lot of owl headers. I have try recompiling the files
using Borland C++ version 5.00 and also using a much older version 3. I
found a \owl folder on an old computer, and just copied it to the
Borland folder so that there is no error messages of the kind: "unable
to open include file 'owl\pch.h'". Yet the project fails to compile. I
am really desperate for any help I could get as this is becoming
increasingly urtgent.
Thank you
regards,
anne
 
 

Re:owl library: anyone knows anything?

OWL (which stands for "Object Windows Library") was the predecessor to
both MFC as well as the VCL, and represented Borland's first foray into
an object-oriented library around MSWindows. In any event, it was
superseded by the VCL.
With regards to your specific problem, my suspicion is that there are a
bunch more header files needed to truly build OWL applications. If I
still had a Borland C++ 5.0 disk laying around, I'd be happy to send it
to you. Apparently, you can still get OWL up to BCB version 5.0.
Unfortunately, all my stuff is in storage :-(. Not sure why Borland
hasn't released the code to the public domain.
anne wrote:
Quote
Hello,


Here is a really desperate call for help.
I have to modify an executable written in 98 using a version of Borland
C++. Unfortunately, no one can tell me more about it. All I know is
that it uses a lot of owl headers. I have try recompiling the files
using Borland C++ version 5.00 and also using a much older version 3. I
found a \owl folder on an old computer, and just copied it to the
Borland folder so that there is no error messages of the kind: "unable
to open include file 'owl\pch.h'". Yet the project fails to compile. I
am really desperate for any help I could get as this is becoming
increasingly urtgent.

Thank you

regards,

anne

 

Re:owl library: anyone knows anything?

If you have the 5.0 installation disk(s), then maybe running through the
install will expose the option to install OWL. If not, then you can buy
Borland C++ 5.0 here:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1251&item=7137410646&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Sean Hoffman wrote:
Quote
OWL (which stands for "Object Windows Library") was the predecessor to
both MFC as well as the VCL, and represented Borland's first foray into
an object-oriented library around MSWindows. In any event, it was
superseded by the VCL.

With regards to your specific problem, my suspicion is that there are a
bunch more header files needed to truly build OWL applications. If I
still had a Borland C++ 5.0 disk laying around, I'd be happy to send it
to you. Apparently, you can still get OWL up to BCB version 5.0.
Unfortunately, all my stuff is in storage :-(. Not sure why Borland
hasn't released the code to the public domain.

anne wrote:

>Hello,
>
>
>Here is a really desperate call for help.
>I have to modify an executable written in 98 using a version of
>Borland C++. Unfortunately, no one can tell me more about it. All I
>know is that it uses a lot of owl headers. I have try recompiling the
>files using Borland C++ version 5.00 and also using a much older
>version 3. I found a \owl folder on an old computer, and just copied
>it to the Borland folder so that there is no error messages of the
>kind: "unable to open include file 'owl\pch.h'". Yet the project fails
>to compile. I am really desperate for any help I could get as this is
>becoming increasingly urtgent.
>
>Thank you
>
>regards,
>
>anne
>
 

{smallsort}

Re:owl library: anyone knows anything?

anne wrote:
Quote
Hello,


Here is a really desperate call for help.
Try with this:
owlnext.sourceforge.net/
Darko
 

Re:owl library: anyone knows anything?

anne wrote:
Quote
I found a \owl folder on an old computer, and just copied it to the
Borland folder so that there is no error messages of the kind: "unable
to open include file 'owl\pch.h'".
This should not have been necessary. Just let the BC++ install owl where
it is supposed to be.
There are groups devoted to BCPP and owl. See
borland.public.cpp.ide
borland.public.cpp.borlancpp
borland.public.cpp.owl
H^2