Linux drivers for winmodems

2003-10-13 01:22:08 AM
cppbuilder0
Considering recent discussions in this group I thought the following links
might be beneficial.
Linux drivers for Conexant chipsets:
www.linuxant.com/drivers/
Why they want US$14.95 for the driver:
https://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php
They offer a 14.4Kbps driver for free to see if it will work with your
hardware.
--
Benny
Remove your rose colored glasses before e-mailing me

Re:Linux drivers for winmodems

Beautiful idea.
Rodolfo
"Benny Hill" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message
Considering recent discussions in this group I thought the following links
might be beneficial...

Re:Linux drivers for winmodems

Thanks Benny, that's great!
(now if I only had a modem card with a conextant chipset <g>)
But things just get worse. I packed up the laptop and drove back home. Now
the CD and floppy don't want to work. (Linux types don't tell me it's a
Windows virus - the symptoms persist if I try to boot Knoppix which is a
variant of Debian Linux.) What's the famous quote? Maybe "I can't win for
loosing" :-(
. Ed
Benny Hill wrote in message

Considering recent discussions in this group I thought
the following links might be beneficial.

Linux drivers for Conexant chipsets:
www.linuxant.com/drivers/

Why they want US$14.95 for the driver:
https://www.linuxant.com/store/faq.php

They offer a 14.4Kbps driver for free to see if it will work with your
hardware.

{smallsort}

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:34:00 -0400, Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
Thanks Benny, that's great!

(now if I only had a modem card with a conextant chipset <g>)

But things just get worse. I packed up the laptop and drove back home. Now
the CD and floppy don't want to work. (Linux types don't tell me it's a
Windows virus - the symptoms persist if I try to boot Knoppix which is a
variant of Debian Linux.) What's the famous quote? Maybe "I can't win for
loosing" :-(

. Ed
*shakes head* Fate is thumbing her nose at you I guess.
I was reading a little about Knoppix today and I noticed that to use
certain functions you have to actually install it on the hard drive. (I
believe watching DVD's was what I was reading about)
By the way, were you trying to install linux on a laptop? I haven't tried
that and I've heard it's usually more involved. There are websites
devoted to getting linux running on laptops but I don't have any of them
bookmarked.
Enjoy the last of your weekend,
--
Benny
Remove your rose colored glasses before e-mailing me

Re:Linux drivers for winmodems

By the way, were you trying to install linux on a laptop?
Yes, my machine is a laptop. Dell Inspiron 8000, 512M, Pentium 3 Mobile,
850MHz
...There are websites devoted to getting linux running
on laptops but I don't have any of them bookmarked.
Thanks for trying. I have found a few of those on my own.
Linux On Laptops
www.linux-laptop.net/
Linux on an Inspiron 3700/7000/7500
www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/
SuSE Linux and Win 2K on Inspiron 8000
www.geocities.com/stan_22ie/
(All of those from the links at www.mulroy.org/prog5.htm)
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:19:31 -0400, Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
>...There are websites devoted to getting linux running
>on laptops but I don't have any of them bookmarked.

Thanks for trying. I have found a few of those on my own.
Ah yes, I had forgotten about your vast collection of links. I don't know
how I forgot. I'm going to blame it on the beer and vodka from my youth
though.
--

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
Yes, my machine is a laptop. Dell Inspiron 8000, 512M, Pentium 3 Mobile,
850MHz
Oh. I have a Dell Inspiron 8000, 256M, PIII 1GHz with a nVidia card, and
about the only thing I could peeve about is the conflict between the
WInModem and the IR. For the rest this puppy is running Linux from the
start without trouble.
--
Ruurd

Re:Linux drivers for winmodems

The video adapter on mine is an ATI with 32M. I have had not problems with
it. Gamers might not like it, but my idea of a game is Taipei or Solitaire
<g>I have not used the infra red do don't know about any conflicts with
it.
How did you get the modem to run under Linux?
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...