OT: Spoken vs programming language

2005-10-04 11:58:51 PM
cppbuilder102
Suppose language constructs for English were decided upon the same way
they were for programming languages. How would English be different?
I would submit the following proposal to the English ANSI committee.
The double contraction:
In phrases like "they are not", using contractions you have 2 different
ways to rewrite this statement. "They're not" or "They aren't" I
purpose for just such situations, the double contraction be introduced
so "we are not" can be replaced with "they're'nt" or "theyer''nt".
--
Chris W
Gift Giving Made Easy

Re:OT: Spoken vs programming language

Chris W < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I would submit the following proposal to the English ANSI committee.
ROTFL!
As if acronyms like ANSI, RIAA etc. hadn't been presumptous (Amercia
as I know it stretches from Tierra del fuego to
Alaska/Canada/Greenland) and sometimes self-contradicting ("American
National"??).

Re:OT: Spoken vs programming language

Jack {*word*182} has a thing or two to say about language usage.
Been my guiding light for years.....
andromeda.rutgers.edu/~j{*word*182}/Writing/
Chris W wrote:
Suppose language constructs for English were decided upon the same way
they were for programming languages. How would English be different?

I would submit the following proposal to the English ANSI committee.

The double contraction:
In phrases like "they are not", using contractions you have 2 different
ways to rewrite this statement. "They're not" or "They aren't" I
purpose for just such situations, the double contraction be introduced
so "we are not" can be replaced with "they're'nt" or "theyer''nt".

{smallsort}