installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

2007-09-08 10:49:30 PM
cppbuilder10
Is there a difference in the way packages get installed in C++ builder
2007 vs Studio 2007?
Currently in studio 2006, i open the delphi package in the delphi
personality and select "generate C++ files". How does package
installing work in C++ Builder 2007?
I'm trying to decide which package I am going to buy. C++ or full studio.
Thanks,
Mike

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

That is a good question Mike. The nervousness around re-installation of
third party components and packages is what delays me from upgrading. There
always seems to be some tweaking to the files that I have to do. I am
hoping that the tweaking that I did for the BDS2006 installation will be all
that is necessary for RAD2007. I also wish the whole process was simpler
and smoother.

Mike Margerum wrote:
Is there a difference in the way packages get installed in C++ builder
2007 vs Studio 2007?

Currently in studio 2006, i open the delphi package in the delphi
personality and select "generate C++ files". How does package
installing work in C++ Builder 2007?
If you only have C++ Builder 2007, you will need cproj file for the
package instead of a dproj file. If your thirdparty editor does not
provide this, you can compile the package via the command line dcc32
compiler but it is a bit trickier.
--
Olivier Sannier
JVCL Coordinator

{smallsort}

OBones wrote:

If you only have C++ Builder 2007, you will need cproj file for the
package instead of a dproj file. If your thirdparty editor does not
provide this, you can compile the package via the command line dcc32
compiler but it is a bit trickier.

Have you tried MSBuild? Make sure you're running it inside a RAD Studio
Command Prompt window, which you can activate via a shortcut in your
Windows CodeGear RAD Studio menu.
Examples:
msbuild ProjectName.dproj /t:Build /p:Configuration=Debug
msbuild ProjectName.dproj /t:Build /p:Configuration=Release
msbuild ProjectName.dproj /t:Clean /p:Configuration=Release
etc. etc.
So it's not really that bad at all. If the dproj project file doesn't
have the necessary entries to generate headers and such required for
C++, then the following example will work:
msbuild ProjectName.dproj /t:Clean
/p:Configuration=Debug;DCC_CBuilderOutput=All
That's it! There's no need to mess with the internals of the dproj file
at all.
RH

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

That is a good question Mike. The nervousness around re-installation of
third party components and packages is what delays me from upgrading. There
My last experience with upgrading my components for bds2006 forced into
evaluating wxWidgets/visual studio. Fortunately for CodeGear, wxWidgets
is a bloated archaic mess with no decent db connectivity or reporting.
Looks like you are stuck with me CodeGear. :D

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

Thanks for the info guys. I'll save myself some trouble and spend the
extra $150 to get the whole studio package.
Codegear finally applied enough pricing pain in this upgrade to get me
to look at getting SA. hehe. Still a hell of a deal though.
After trying to use wxWidgets for the last month, ill never complain
about the elegant VCL again.
OBones wrote:
Mike Margerum wrote:
>Is there a difference in the way packages get installed in C++ builder
>2007 vs Studio 2007?
>
>Currently in studio 2006, i open the delphi package in the delphi
>personality and select "generate C++ files". How does package
>installing work in C++ Builder 2007?

If you only have C++ Builder 2007, you will need cproj file for the
package instead of a dproj file. If your thirdparty editor does not
provide this, you can compile the package via the command line dcc32
compiler but it is a bit trickier.

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

Thanks alot!
RH wrote:
OBones wrote:

Have you tried MSBuild? Make sure you're running it inside a RAD Studio

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

"Mike Margerum" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Currently in studio 2006, i open the delphi package in the
delphi personality and select "generate C++ files". How
does package installing work in C++ Builder 2007?
Since CB2007 is just C++ and no Delphi personality, you would have to
compile Delphi packages at the command-line using dcc32.exe directly (which
has always shipped with every version of C++). dcc32.exe has flags for
compiling Pascal code for C++.
I'm trying to decide which package I am going to buy.
C++ or full studio.
That depends on what your needs are. If you don't want/need the full Delphi
and .NET personalities, then stick with CB2007. Otherwise, get the full
studio so you have everything.
Gambit

Gord wrote:
I am hoping that the tweaking that I did for the BDS2006
installation will be all that is necessary for RAD2007.
That should be the case. My BDS2006 controls install with no problems
in CB2007 and RAD2007 is supposed to be just a patch for CB2007 rather
than a new version.
I just finished installing my new RAD Studio to replace CB2007 and
D2007 and two sets controls for BDE replacement database engines
installed with no trouble at all, as did a rebuild of my current
project. The controls (one set distributed for BCB6 and the other for
CB2006) were built in BDS2006 and did not need modification for either
BC2007 or RAD2007.
- Leo

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

"Mike Margerum" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote
After trying to use wxWidgets for the last month, ill never complain about
the elegant VCL again.
I'm not sure if you have used my product (wxForms -
www.twinforms.com ), it will help you design the wxWidgets forms
using BCB. I'm currently working on adding VCL like functions/classes in
wxWidgets that can be compiled in Linux and Mac.
Kathire
Cross platform Form Designer for C++ Builder
www.twinforms.com/

Re:installing pascal components in C++ builder vs Studio

impressive. thanks