Upgrade C++ Builder3 to 2007

2008-05-08 04:17:25 PM
cppbuilder44
Hi all.
I am willing to upgrade from my old C++ Builder3 to the latest version (2007). Just one question: does the new version correctly open and build all my existing C++ Builder3 projects?
Are there any issues or problems with this upgrade?
Thanks a lot
Stefano Agostinelli

Re:Upgrade C++ Builder3 to 2007

Stefano,
C++ Builder 3 goes back to 1998. I just did a test with an old project,
and Builder 2007 will automatically convert C++ Builder 3 projects. In
my test, the project compiled and ran with no code changes, but it was a
very simple project. You most likely will have to make some changes to
your code, and if you have any 3rd-party components, you will need new
versions of those, too. There are many reasons to upgrade, but you
should expect to spend some time converting your projects.
Joe
Stefano Agostinelli wrote:
Hi all.
I am willing to upgrade from my old C++ Builder3 to the latest version (2007). Just one question: does the new version correctly open and build all my existing C++ Builder3 projects?
Are there any issues or problems with this upgrade?
Thanks a lot
Stefano Agostinelli

Re:Upgrade C++ Builder3 to 2007

<There are many reasons to upgrade, but you should expect to spend some time
converting your projects.>
we're headed down this path too with a big project with several third party
controls. we anticipate it taking weeks. in fact we tried a couple of
years ago to upgrade to CB6 and gave up. We've seen reorganized the entire
program to isolate the third party stuff as much as possible and we think
we'll have an easier time now.
one thing that worries me though as how we will recognize things we should
do over again rather than simply upgrade to take advantage of the new stuff.
so, would you mind listing a few of the major advantages of CB2007 over CB3.
I'm hoping your list might keep us from overlooking features we should be
taking advantage of.
--
Frank M. Cook
www.acsplus.com