Memory Error During Compile

2007-11-06 03:49:42 AM
cppbuilder79
Hello,
I have a PC running DOS 6.21 and Borland Turbo C++ 2.01 is installed. The
following DOS command line command compiles the source code with no errors:
c:>tcc -mm -w copts.c tcibm.obj
When I try to compile the same cpots.s code while in the IDE an out of
memory error is generated after compiling 7K lines of code. The same error
is generated when I have the debugging set to OFF.
The original code was developped when the compiler was new and I just
inheritted this mess. I need to be able to debug the code and step through
it when I test my changes. How can I get the IDE to compile and let me debug
the code?
All help is greatly appreciated!
Randal

Re:Memory Error During Compile

My guess is that with the IDE loaded the remaining memory is not sufficient
to allow the file to be compiled. 7K lines of code is fairly big for a C
source file.
Just for the heck of it, try this:
Start tc.exe and before loading any file or project do a Compile|Get Info
and look at the file size and current file entries.
Now load copts.c and do it again. Compare the results.
I am getting 262K for available memory with no file loaded but I am in a DOS
box under XP.
In any case, if you add the -v option to the command line and build it, I
think you might be able to debug the program in the IDE. If not then break
it up into a couple of source files.
"@alcatel-lucent.com" Are you in Raleigh?
. Ed
Randal Ormond wrote in message
news:472f73d5$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Hello,
I have a PC running DOS 6.21 and Borland Turbo C++ 2.01 is installed. The
following DOS command line command compiles the source code with no
errors:
c:>tcc -mm -w copts.c tcibm.obj
When I try to compile the same cpots.s code while in the IDE an out of
memory error is generated after compiling 7K lines of code. The same error
is generated when I have the debugging set to OFF.
The original code was developped when the compiler was new and I just
inheritted this mess. I need to be able to debug the code and step through
it when I test my changes. How can I get the IDE to compile and let me
debug the code?
All help is greatly appreciated!

Re:Memory Error During Compile

Hi Ed,
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot. Do you know where (on the web?)
the options are described?
I'm in Petaluma CA.
Randal
"Ed Mulroy [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
My guess is that with the IDE loaded the remaining memory is not
sufficient to allow the file to be compiled. 7K lines of code is fairly
big for a C source file.

Just for the heck of it, try this:

Start tc.exe and before loading any file or project do a Compile|Get Info
and look at the file size and current file entries.

Now load copts.c and do it again. Compare the results.

I am getting 262K for available memory with no file loaded but I am in a
DOS box under XP.

In any case, if you add the -v option to the command line and build it, I
think you might be able to debug the program in the IDE. If not then
break it up into a couple of source files.

"@alcatel-lucent.com" Are you in Raleigh?

. Ed

>Randal Ormond wrote in message
>news:472f73d5$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>Hello,
>I have a PC running DOS 6.21 and Borland Turbo C++ 2.01 is installed. The
>following DOS command line command compiles the source code with no
>errors:
>c:>tcc -mm -w copts.c tcibm.obj
>When I try to compile the same cpots.s code while in the IDE an out of
>memory error is generated after compiling 7K lines of code. The same
>error is generated when I have the debugging set to OFF.
>The original code was developped when the compiler was new and I just
>inheritted this mess. I need to be able to debug the code and step
>through it when I test my changes. How can I get the IDE to compile and
>let me debug the code?
>All help is greatly appreciated!

{smallsort}

Randal Ormond wrote:
I have a PC running DOS 6.21 and Borland Turbo C++ 2.01 is installed.
In addition to Ed's suggestions...
Check your emm386 settings.
Make sure you have used LoadHigh on everything
you can in config.sys and autoexec.bat
IIRC there was a testdmpi.exe in the \bin folder.
Run that and see what it says.
There should be a read.me that tells about it too.
I had config.sys setup to ask/load about 6 different
configurations depending upon what I wanted to do.

Randal Ormond wrote:
Thanks for your help. I'll give it a shot. Do you know where (on the web?)
the options are described?
tcc -? should get you most of the important ones.
You can also set the options in the IDE, save the project,
and use prj2mak to create a make file that will show the options.