Problem getting app to work on another computer

2005-06-02 07:09:43 AM
cppbuilder95
Im having a problem with an application I wrote under bc++ 6 personal
My app works fine in my pc but if I copy it to another pc it gives a EAccess
Violation error
Ive copied the bpl and dll files required, from my pc to the other one
can anyone help me on this issue?

Re:Problem getting app to work on another computer

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:09:43 +0100, Antonio Soares wrote:
I?m having a problem with an application I wrote under bc++ 6 personal
My app works fine in my pc but if I copy it to another pc it gives a EAccess
Violation error
I?ve copied the bpl and dll files required, from my pc to the other one
can anyone help me on this issue?
have you tried creating it as stand alone?
that is
projects | options | linker ->uncheck use dynamic RTL
projects | options | linker ->uncheck build with runtime packages
And if you do that do you get the same error?
Do you have the same versions of the common controls and richedit etc on
the two machines?
--
Good luck,
liz

Re:Problem getting app to work on another computer

Hi,
I've already tried that but it's the same error.
I've tried on W2k and XP.
The other machine isn't going to have BCpp installed.
I've only supplied the required dll's or, has I stated before, linking
statically still doesn't work.
Any ideas?
"Liz Albin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:09:43 +0100, Antonio Soares wrote:

>I?m having a problem with an application I wrote under bc++ 6 personal
>My app works fine in my pc but if I copy it to another pc it gives a
>EAccess
>Violation error
>I?ve copied the bpl and dll files required, from my pc to the other one
>can anyone help me on this issue?

have you tried creating it as stand alone?

that is

projects | options | linker ->uncheck use dynamic RTL
projects | options | linker ->uncheck build with runtime packages

And if you do that do you get the same error?

Do you have the same versions of the common controls and richedit etc on
the two machines?
--
Good luck,

liz

{smallsort}

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 00:44:54 +0100, Antonio Soares wrote:
I've already tried that but it's the same error.
I've tried on W2k and XP.
The other machine isn't going to have BCpp installed.
I've only supplied the required dll's or, has I stated before, linking
statically still doesn't work.
Any ideas?
If it happens on /every other/ machine I'd look into at least these two
things:
1- creating the installation with something like install shield (though I
prefer inno setup)
2- investigating all my own memort allocations on the off chance that I
screwed something up
--
Good luck,
liz

Antonio Soares wrote:

I've already tried that but it's the same error.
I've tried on W2k and XP.
The other machine isn't going to have BCpp installed.
I've only supplied the required dll's or, has I stated before, linking
statically still doesn't work.
Any ideas?

If you are unable to use a program that evaluates your .exe looking for
all its dependancies, then another approach would be to incorporate a
lot of error handling into you project and try to catch the exception in
your MAIN function and display some more meaningful message to you that
might help you identify what is causing the crash.
There are many reasons why a program might not run on another computer:
- You could be missing a requred DLL, ActiveX, COM, or other dependancy
- You could be trying to do something on a PC without the correct
permissions (like registry writing in non-admin mode)
- You could be trying to open access to a device that doesn't exist, and
not properly handling the error (like trying to access a I/O card or I/O
port and that item is not available..
- and so on and so forth.
I recommend InstallShield's dependancy scanner. But given that you
actually tried Liz's original comments, I'd opt for looking thru your
code and trying to find what non-standard components you used in your
app and make sure that they are properly deployed on the target PC as
well, and then try to figure out where the crash is coming from..
ahh debugging..

"Antonio Soares" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

I've already tried that but it's the same error.
I've tried on W2k and XP.
The other machine isn't going to have BCpp installed.
I've only supplied the required dll's or, has I stated before, linking
statically still doesn't work.
Any ideas?
Hi Antonio :-))
Have you checked the version of ComCtl32.dll on both machines ?
Br
Antonio

"Antonio Felix" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

"Antonio Soares" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've already tried that but it's the same error.
>I've tried on W2k and XP.
>The other machine isn't going to have BCpp installed.
>I've only supplied the required dll's or, has I stated before, linking
>statically still doesn't work.
>Any ideas?

Hi Antonio :-))

Have you checked the version of ComCtl32.dll on both machines ?

Br
Antonio
Try to use this to track the dependencies of your Exe
www.dependencywalker.com/
Br
Antonio

Re:Problem getting app to work on another computer

You might check if the program was installed while logged in via an account
that has Administrator privileges.
. Ed
Antonio Soares wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Im having a problem with an application I wrote under bc++ 6 personal My
app works fine in my pc but if I copy it to another pc it gives a EAccess
Violation error
Ive copied the bpl and dll files required, from my pc to the other one
can anyone help me on this issue?

Re:Problem getting app to work on another computer

Hi,
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
It helped me track the problem.
It was missing a file and now the problem is solved.
I commented a block that creates an empty file used by my app if the file
wasn't present and completelly forgot about it! My head is a mess! : D
Thank you once again all of you.
Antonio Soares
"Antonio Soares" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem