IDE crashes

2003-09-22 06:32:19 AM
cppbuilder95
I have been seeing a problem for sometime. I have a couple of applications
that
have a large quantity of shared files. Sometimes (more times that I care to
remember) when I open one of the projects, it blows up with all kinds of
IDE/AV/etc errors... but eventually makes it to the IDE desktop. Experience
tells me to exit and start again, sometimes rebooting my box. Upon exit, it
blows
up again, with similar failure dialogs. This has been going on for sometime,
but
has increased in frequency since installing CPPB SP4. Now, it is up to every
3-4 times I start CPPB. Sometimes (when these issues occur), it forgets my
settings for the project and the IDE reverts back to the default
display/position
settings with only one file loaded.
I have found that if I delete the TDS file and restart, it will come up
clean. I have
to do a full (maybe not?) build to get debug/breakpoint capability back. I'm
fine
with that, but it is a real pain to have to go through this so often. Also,
I have
found that if I used the REOPEN selection, the frequency goes up, allot. So,
exit, wait 30 seconds and then open the next project using shortcuts to each
project. Seems to help with the frequency, but does not eliminate it.
Anyone else see this issue? Is this an issue that there is a fix/work-around
for? In
various environments, I have seen this in CPPB 5.0 and 6.0. I have tried
Windows
2000, and then Windows XP... No help.
The project has a BUNCH of controls, maybe a couple thousand. Shouldn't be
a problem, but I wonder if I have reached some limit? The projects each use
about 90 megabytes when loaded.
The generated code works fine. There seems to be no issues in that area.
My System: Windows XP/SP1, all security patches applied, CPPB 6.0/SP4,
640MB Ram, Dual Display, plenty of free disk space,
Thanks!
--
Paul Maia

Re:IDE crashes

try loading your projects and then closing down some of the forms and then
resave
the project..
exist and try loading again.
if you have that many controls then i can only assume that you may have many
forms and you could be running out of resources.
Just because you have that must memory does not mean you have it for your
disposal. you also could be having swap file problems.
Paul Maia wrote:
[...]

I have the same types of problems, and additionally I cannot recompile
an application until I delete the .tds file, which BCB5/6 never
releases(so I restart frequently). I stick with BCB5 because I have
found it to be more stable.
charlie
Paul Maia wrote:
[...]

{smallsort}

Re:IDE crashes

Something really seems to have happened since Delphi6... my IDE crashes
lately on a minimum rate of 4 or 5 times a day, most often when
copy-pasting or undoing my last actions.
The really sad thing is, being a new employee bringing over his favoured
Delphi language into a pre{*word*109}ly MS office draws a lot of sniggers
from the VS+VB folks every time I get IDE crashes.. c'mon Borland, lets
get it right!

Re:IDE crashes

Brandon wrote:
Something really seems to have happened since Delphi6... my IDE
crashes lately on a minimum rate of 4 or 5 times a day, most often
when copy-pasting or undoing my last actions. The really sad thing
is, being a new employee bringing over his favoured Delphi language
into a pre{*word*109}ly MS office draws a lot of sniggers from the VS+VB
folks every time I get IDE crashes.. c'mon Borland, lets get it right!
Some questions:
- Did you install Update 2 + Update 3? (you can skip Update 1 as it is
included in Update 2)
- Did you try using JED's Delphi configuration Manager. You can
download it from www.jed-software.com/dcm.htm
- Did you try installing the *unofficial* Update 4? It's only a
collection of some patches that correct some important issues. You can
download it from
andy.jgknet.de/misc/D2k5PatchInstaller.exe (161KB)
andy.jgknet.de/misc/D2k5PatchInstaller.zip (76KB)
andy.jgknet.de/misc/D2k5PatchInstallerSource.zip (217KB)
NOTE: while this "Update 4" has helped a lot of people out of crash
problems, it is *not* official. That means it has *not* been thoroughly
tested by Borland. So, installing it is *at your own risk*, and you
should do it *only* after installing Update 3
Hope that helps you out ;)
--
Best regards :)
Guillem Vicens

Re:IDE crashes

Guillem wrote:
Brandon wrote:

>Something really seems to have happened since Delphi6... my IDE
>crashes lately on a minimum rate of 4 or 5 times a day, most often
>when copy-pasting or undoing my last actions. The really sad thing
>is, being a new employee bringing over his favoured Delphi language
>into a pre{*word*109}ly MS office draws a lot of sniggers from the
>VS+VB folks every time I get IDE crashes.. c'mon Borland, lets get
>it right!

Some questions:

- Did you install Update 2 + Update 3? (you can skip Update 1 as it is
included in Update 2)
<snip>Good hint.
- Did you try installing the unofficial Update 4? It's only a
<snip>
There is no unofficial update 4.
There are however several hotfixes available.
These hotfixes can best be downloaded from a trusted source.
You should especially distrust non Borland websites that offer
executables for download for hotfixes that where released as loose
files. You can't tell what such executables bring with them from
virusses to spyware to adware...
The only source i trust for these hotfixes is Borland.
Since all the hotfixes where put together on Code Central, that is the
best place to download them from:
cc.borland.com/item.aspx
Still the warning applies to all these hotfixes, they're not officially
Q&A'd so it's at your own risk to install them. For many though,
they're a godsend.
Regards,
Marco.

Re:IDE crashes

Marco Caspers wrote:
You should especially distrust non Borland websites that offer
executables for download for hotfixes that where released as loose
files.
If you're talking about Andreas tool, source is available, and it
downloads the files directly from Allen's blog, and automatically
installs them for your convenience.
--
Leonel

Re:IDE crashes

Marco Caspers wrote:
<snip>

There is no unofficial update 4.

There are however several hotfixes available.
you're right. I was only using the name some people gave in
non-technical to the set of hotfixes released
These hotfixes can best be downloaded from a trusted source.
agreed. And i think Andreas Hausladen i someone who can be trusted.
There is more than one that used his installer and AFAIK had no problem.
Either way, i also added the link to the source of the utility, which,
as Leonel says, is only a downloader from Allen's blog and installer.
He can decide whether he wants to use it or not.

The only source i trust for these hotfixes is Borland.

Since all the hotfixes where put together on Code Central, that is the
best place to download them from:
cc.borland.com/item.aspx

that's another option
--

Guillem wrote:
Brandon wrote:

>Something really seems to have happened since Delphi6... my IDE
>crashes lately on a minimum rate of 4 or 5 times a day, most often
>when copy-pasting or undoing my last actions. The really sad thing
>is, being a new employee bringing over his favoured Delphi language
>into a pre{*word*109}ly MS office draws a lot of sniggers from the VS+VB
>folks every time I get IDE crashes.. c'mon Borland, lets get it right!

Some questions:

- Did you install Update 2 + Update 3? (you can skip Update 1 as it is
included in Update 2)

- Did you try using JED's Delphi configuration Manager. You can
download it from www.jed-software.com/dcm.htm

- Did you try installing the *unofficial* Update 4? It's only a
collection of some patches that correct some important issues. You can
download it from
andy.jgknet.de/misc/D2k5PatchInstaller.exe (161KB)
andy.jgknet.de/misc/D2k5PatchInstaller.zip (76KB)
andy.jgknet.de/misc/D2k5PatchInstallerSource.zip (217KB)

NOTE: while this "Update 4" has helped a lot of people out of crash
problems, it is *not* official. That means it has *not* been thoroughly
tested by Borland. So, installing it is *at your own risk*, and you
should do it *only* after installing Update 3

Hope that helps you out ;)

Hi Guillem.
I installed D2005 recently, and after installation I updated to all the
way Update3.. so in effect I have been running update3 since I started
using it.
I've noticed on the cc there is a set of IDE patches, has anyone out
there tried this? { cc.borland.com/Item.aspx }

Re:IDE crashes

Hi,
Brandon wrote:

Hi Guillem.
I installed D2005 recently, and after installation I updated to all
the way Update3.. so in effect I have been running update3 since I
started using it.

I've noticed on the cc there is a set of IDE patches, has anyone out
there tried this? { cc.borland.com/Item.aspx }
those are the same that Marco told you, and the same that are installed
with the patcher i told you (which btw seems does not work anymore as
per info from the creator)
Remember they are *unofficial*, install-on-your-own-risk patches.
Still, they have helped a lot of people. You can see more discussion on
them in the b.p.d.non-technical group
Good luck