Re: Compiler Speed

2003-08-26 11:22:30 AM
cppbuilder50
Chris,
It is VERY important to use precompiled headers. I have a project that
is 156 units and compiles
to 10megs (Using Static Libraries). The project compiles in under 2 minutes
on 2.0Ghz P4 laptop.
Roger Warkentine
"Chris Durkin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have just move from CBuilder 5 to 6 and my compiler time is even slower
that before, it takes me about a hour to do a full compile. I have over
100
unit in my projects, it is large.

I have notive that the BC6 can change the order of file in the project,
does
this affect compile speed, if so how do I choose the order.

How else can I speed things up?

Thanks
Chris Durkin

Re:Re: Compiler Speed

Chris Durkin,
You absolutely must use Harold Howe's advice on pre-compiled headers:
www.bcbdev.com/articles/pch.htm
If you are using BCB6 you might want to consider removing the *.HDP
files from your VCL include directory under your Builder
installation.
Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]
Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:Re: Compiler Speed

"Chris Durkin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I have just move from CBuilder 5 to 6 and my compiler time is even slower
that before, it takes me about a hour to do a full compile. I have over
100
unit in my projects, it is large.

I have notive that the BC6 can change the order of file in the project,
does
this affect compile speed, if so how do I choose the order.

How else can I speed things up?

In addition to what others have said concerning PCH, if you have background
compiling
enabled, you can try disabling it. In your paths, remove any that don't
exist, especially
any network paths. This can cause a major slowdown.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Compiler Speed

<...>
How else can I speed things up?
<...>
Hi :
For any large-scale project use redundant include guards.
So instead of :
#include "myFile.h"
do :
#ifndef myFile_h (or whatever your include guard is)
#include "myFile.h"
#endif
I've seen 10%-70% speed improvement.
For a reference see John Lakos "Large scale c++ software design"
p 82.
Good luck;
steve a.

Re:Re: Compiler Speed

WHAT DOES THIS REPLY HAS TO DO WITH MY ISSUE ?

--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:Re: Compiler Speed

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:13:35 +0100, Bart Rijvers wrote:
WHAT DOES THIS REPLY HAS TO DO WITH MY ISSUE ?
>"Andrue Cope" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Chris Durkin,
>
>You absolutely must use Harold Howe's advice on pre-compiled headers:
I have absolutely no idea, and no reason to think it would have. According
to Google (and the attribution) that message was posted to Chris Durkin. It
was also posted in August of 2003 so I guess you have a lot of catching up
to do.
BTW:Was there any particular reason why you chose to shout your response at
me? If not then perhaps you should be more careful about pressing caps-lock
:)
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]