Board index » cppbuilder » Most of VCL didn't install

Most of VCL didn't install


2004-09-05 06:20:18 AM
cppbuilder60
I'm (slowly) migrating to a new machine. Some weeks ago I added bcb6
ent to the machine, and today did update 4 and ilink. I built a couple
libraries without a problem.
Then I opened a project with VCL components and noted that most of the
VCL isn't here--maybe just four tabs on the pallette. Data Controls and
Data Access are there, but BDE and most all other things are not there.
I see that the Tools menu has just four items (environment, editors,
etc., so essentially the top group from the menu). *Then* I noticed in
Tools, Environment, Library that none of the paths are set--not to
*anything.*
Other than try the install again--why?--does anyone know anything I can
do? It looks like lots of bpl files are in bin but I'm guessing all
that stuff hasn't been registered.
Help much appreciated.
PS: *This* is one reason why we need a version update. This behavior
and experience is pretty much unacceptable.
 
 

Re:Most of VCL didn't install

Frank Burleigh wrote:
Quote
PS: This is one reason why we need a version update. This behavior
and experience is pretty much unacceptable.
It's also very unusual and usually it's a problem with the way the
installation was performed. Two suggestions:
One - tell us what account you used to log in to your computer when
you installed it. Does it have adminstrator rights? What account do you
normally log on as?
Two - the .install group is dedicated to answering installation
issues and is one of the few groups that is officially monitored by
Borland.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]
info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html
 

Re:Most of VCL didn't install

Frank,
For some reason, BCB6 keys were removed from your Registry. Run the
installer again, and this time, select the "Repair" install option. That
will write back your Registry keys and restore your component palette.
It would be best to do the above with any antivirus software disabled.
-- YH --
 

{smallsort}

Re:Most of VCL didn't install

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
Frank Burleigh wrote:


>PS: This is one reason why we need a version update. This behavior
>and experience is pretty much unacceptable.


It's also very unusual and usually it's a problem with the way the
installation was performed. Two suggestions:

One - tell us what account you used to log in to your computer when
you installed it. Does it have adminstrator rights? What account do you
normally log on as?

Two - the .install group is dedicated to answering installation
issues and is one of the few groups that is officially monitored by
Borland.

Thanks to both you and Yu-Chen. I looked for but didn't see a .install
group. If Yu-Chen's idea doesn't work I'll go there.
To answer your question, I was logged in with an account having admin
privs. ADS group policy is, at some level, applied to this machine so
that's something to check.
 

Re:Most of VCL didn't install

Yu-Chen Hsueh wrote:
Quote
Frank,

For some reason, BCB6 keys were removed from your Registry. Run the
installer again, and this time, select the "Repair" install option. That
will write back your Registry keys and restore your component palette.

It would be best to do the above with any antivirus software disabled.

-- YH --


--
Please confine your posts to the newsgroups and DO NOT reply to this e-mail
account unless asked. Any unsolicted e-mail will be ignored.


I tried this idea but it didn't help. I continue to have a very
abbreviated palette, and the packages listed include only database
components, standard components and mobile drawing (something). Guess
i'll need to find the .install group.
 

Re:Most of VCL didn't install

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:20:18 -0500, Frank Burleigh
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
I'm (slowly) migrating to a new machine. Some weeks ago I added bcb6
ent to the machine, and today did update 4 and ilink. I built a couple
libraries without a problem.

Then I opened a project with VCL components and noted that most of the
VCL isn't here--maybe just four tabs on the pallette. Data Controls and
Data Access are there, but BDE and most all other things are not there.
I see that the Tools menu has just four items (environment, editors,
etc., so essentially the top group from the menu). *Then* I noticed in
Tools, Environment, Library that none of the paths are set--not to
*anything.*

Other than try the install again--why?--does anyone know anything I can
do? It looks like lots of bpl files are in bin but I'm guessing all
that stuff hasn't been registered.

Help much appreciated.

PS: *This* is one reason why we need a version update. This behavior
and experience is pretty much unacceptable.
One thing: After you first installed the original software, did you
run it once before you ran the updates? I do not know why, but you
have to do it or the packages don't show up. Same thing if you try to
install any of the Companion tools. After install, run once, then do
updates, etc.
Hope that helps.