applications freezes on main form

2004-11-21 11:23:22 AM
cppbuilder73
I am working on an application which, for some strange reason,
freezes as soon as the main form displays. The program had been working
fine for some time. Now, no keyboard or mouse
input seems to be recognized, so I can only "reset". The problem is
rather difficult to debug, since any modification I make gives the same
result. Any help appreciated.
Chris

Re:applications freezes on main form

"chris raphael" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I am working on an application which, for some strange
reason, freezes as soon as the main form displays. The
program had been working fine for some time. Now, no
keyboard or mouse input seems to be recognized, so I
can only "reset".
What you describe suggests that there is something on your form that is
blocking the message queue from processing new messages. What exactly does
your form do, and what kind of components are on it?
Gambit

news:41a00a28$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I am working on an application which, for some strange
>reason, freezes as soon as the main form displays. The
>program had been working fine for some time. Now, no
>keyboard or mouse input seems to be recognized, so I
>can only "reset".

What you describe suggests that there is something on your form that is
blocking the message queue from processing new messages. What exactly does
your form do, and what kind of components are on it?

Gambit

There doesn't seem to be anything special on the form ---
an Action Manager
buttons
Scroll Box
Labels
a check box
edit window
rich edit
It might be irrelevant, but I started to see the problem right around
the time I removed the action manager from the project. This kept the
program from compiling so I "Undid" my change. The program then
compiled but this problem appeared.
I don't know if some other strange issues are relevant, but I'll mention
them. Putting exit(0) statements can cause the program to crash with
no indication of where the problem is coming from in the de{*word*81}. The
linker crashes on a regular basis. Also yesterday I had a completely
innocuous statement involving multiply and add that produces nonsense
even though the original variables were fine. I did a trivial change,
breaking the operation into two statements and the program ran fine.
Any help you could give would really be great. I have been programming
in a Unix/Linux environment for years, but this is my first attempt at
Windows programming. I am trying to move a rather large (25K) line
program to windows. The last problem I mention is almost certainly a
compiler problem which makes me eneasy with the Borland tools.
Similarly with the linker problem since many people are reporting this
problem but no one seems to know what to do other than quit and restart.
Maybe I have the wrong development environment? :)
Chris

{smallsort}

Re:applications freezes on main form

There doesn't seem to be anything special on the form ---
an Action Manager
buttons
Scroll Box
Labels
a check box
edit window
rich edit

It might be irrelevant, but I started to see the problem right around
the time I removed the action manager from the project. This kept the
program from compiling so I "Undid" my change. The program then
compiled but this problem appeared.
Does the action manager have the same name as it did before you took
it off the form?