BDS2006 - Missing source files?

2006-04-11 05:15:03 AM
cppbuilder71
I'm trying to compile a library which uses DesignEditors. It
wants the DCU file, if it can find it, but will compile the PAS
file if not. Well, the DesignEditors.pas file USES, among
others, Proxies, ToolsAPI and ActnList. None of those files are
present, neither in DCU nor PAS form.
I can't compile what I need. Where do I find these dource files
and/or DCU's ?
-Terry

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

TerryC wrote:
I can't compile what I need. Where do I find these dource files
and/or DCU's ?
These files are in designide.dcp (and that since Delphi 6, and in
dsgnide50.dcp for Delphi 5). So you must add the "designide" package to
the requires clause.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

"TerryC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm trying to compile a library which uses DesignEditors.
Are you trying to compile a run-time package or a design-time package?
Design-time code is not allowed in a run-time package.
Well, the DesignEditors.pas file USES, among others, Proxies,
ToolsAPI and ActnList. None of those files are present, neither
in DCU nor PAS form.
They are not supposed to be. Borland has never provided source code for its
design-time packages. They are pre-compiled before shipped with the IDE in
binary format only. Design-time packages are supposed to Require Borland's
own design-time packages, such as the "DesignIDE" package.
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

>I'm trying to compile a library which uses DesignEditors.
Are you trying to compile a run-time package or a design-time
package? Design-time code is not allowed in a run-time package.
Design-time
>Well, the DesignEditors.pas file USES, among others, Proxies,
>ToolsAPI and ActnList. None of those files are present,
>neither in DCU nor PAS form.
They are not supposed to be. Borland has never provided source
code for its design-time packages. They are pre-compiled
before shipped with the IDE in binary format only. Design-time
packages are supposed to Require Borland's own design-time
packages, such as the "DesignIDE" package.
It's a 3rd party design-time package. The PAS file has:
uses
DesignIntf, DesignMenus, DesignEditors,
But the DCUs for those are not present. What am I supposed to
do? Is this library only compatible with an older version of
C++ Builder and/or Delphi?

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

"TerryC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
It's a 3rd party design-time package. The PAS file has:

uses
DesignIntf, DesignMenus, DesignEditors,
Like I said earlier, the package needs to have the "DesignIDE" package in
its Requires list. That is where those units reside.
Gambit

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

In article <443bd3fc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"TerryC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
But the DCUs for those are not present. What am I supposed to
do? Is this library only compatible with an older version of
C++ Builder and/or Delphi?
Some googling led me to: add DesignIde.dcp to the requires part of
the package. Give that a try...
--
-David

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

>It's a 3rd party design-time package. The PAS file has:
>
>uses
>DesignIntf, DesignMenus, DesignEditors,

Like I said earlier, the package needs to have the "DesignIDE"
package in its Requires list. That is where those units
reside.
The project has DesignIDE in its Requires list, as well as
Designdgm. But the linker simply complained that DesignIntf.dcu
couldn't be found.
So, I found DesignIntf.pas in the sources (BDS\source\ToolsAPI)
and put that path in the search list so the compiler could find
it. So why don't I get the other design-time sources that
DesignIntf.pas needs to compile?
And why doesn't DesignIDE in the Requires list fix anything?
This is simply baffling to me.
-Terry

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

Some googling led me to: add DesignIde.dcp to the requires
part of the package. Give that a try...
Thanks for the help, but I can't add a DCP file to the Requires
list of a C++ Builder project. I already have DesignIDE.bpi in
that list.

TerryC wrote:
Thanks for the help, but I can't add a DCP file to the Requires
list of a C++ Builder project. I already have DesignIDE.bpi in
that list.
Go to the Pascal options in the Project Options, and check the Use package
.dcps when compiling. Enter designide into the edit box for that option,
click OK, and it should work.
HTH
Jonathan

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

In article <443be46f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
"TerryC" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Thanks for the help, but I can't add a DCP file to the Requires
list of a C++ Builder project. I already have DesignIDE.bpi in
that list.
I thought you said it was delphi source. Why aren't you compiling it
with Delphi and using the "Generate all BCB files" option?
--
-David

"Jonathan Benedicto" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Go to the Pascal options in the Project Options, and check the
Use package .dcps when compiling. Enter designide into the edit
box for that option, click OK, and it should work.
Thanks! That got me past the DesignIDE issues. Now, I need to
figure out which one to list for "uses...DBReg"
I already have "dbrtl" and "dcldb" in my Requires, but that
isn't getting it.
-Terry

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

I thought you said it was delphi source. Why aren't you
compiling it with Delphi and using the "Generate all BCB files"
option?
I didn't know there was such an option available to me. BCB has
always had a Delphi compiler for this kind of thing, so I was
just doing it the same way as always.
If I can't get this to work within the C++ Builder personality,
I'll take a crack at the approach you mentioned.
-Terry

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

I thought you said it was delphi source. Why aren't you
compiling it with Delphi and using the "Generate all BCB files"
option?
OK. Tried this.
Delphi generates a .dcu, .bpi and .hpp, but no .lib nor .bpl
file. I'll need those in C++ Builder, no?

TerryC wrote:
Delphi generates a .dcu, .bpi and .hpp, but no .lib nor .bpl
file. I'll need those in C++ Builder, no?
Did you look in C:\Documents And Settings\<UserName>\My Documents\Borland
Studio Projects\Bpl ?
Also, did you check Build all C++Builder files in the linker options ?
Jonathan

Re:BDS2006 - Missing source files?

>Delphi generates a .dcu, .bpi and .hpp, but no .lib nor .bpl
>file. I'll need those in C++ Builder, no?
Did you look in C:\Documents And Settings\<UserName>\My
Documents\Borland Studio Projects\Bpl ?
Ah-hah! Most of the output stayed in the source folder, so I
expected the .bpi/.bpl to show up there too.
I'll need to spend more time perusing the options and
understanding their consequences. :-)
Many thanks!
-Terry