which packages to use

2003-12-17 11:53:25 PM
cppbuilder18
Hi
I have a BCB5 exe that I want to be able to download over the net.
So size must be minimal. I am using static linking by disabling dynamic
linking and disabling runtime packages.
For a simple app with just a form and button which of the following packages
can I discard to reduce size?
Vcl50;Vclx50;bcbsmp50;Vcldb50;vclado50;ibsmp50;VCLBDE50;
vcldbx50;Qrpt50;TeeUI50;TeeDB50;Tee50;Dss50;TeeQR50;VCLIB50;
Vclmid50;vclie50;Inetdb50;Inet50;NMFast50;webmid50;bcbie50;dclocx50;
bcb2kaxserver50;Indy50
Or do I need all of these??
Thanks
Tim

Re:which packages to use

Tim,
If those are .bpi files and you've disabled runtime packages, then you won't
need any of them. You just need the corresponding .bpl files when you build
your executable. After the executable is built, you won't need any
additional files, since you're linking statically and not using runtime
packages.
-- YH --

Re:which packages to use

"Tim Chemaly" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
For a simple app with just a form and button which of
the following packages can I discard to reduce size?
Just remove *all* of them. The IDE will automatically re-add any that it
actually needs during compiling.
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:which packages to use

Also, you might want to look into a binary compression tool to reduce the
size of your EXE. I use ASPack (www.aspack.com) which is free for
personal use. There is also UPX which is opensource
upx.sourceforge.net/
HTH
- Clayton