Coding standards template

2004-01-22 09:09:42 AM
cppbuilder53
Hello,
I'm about to attempt to put write up a coding standards doc (eg
spacing/formatting/naming etc) but was wondering if anyone had a
template/doc that I could use as a start? We already have ways that we all
tend to do things, we'd just like to set it in concrete somewhere. If
someone already had a partial/complete doc that I could use as a guide it
would make it less likely that I forget anything...
I don't mean to copy anyone else's standards, but what I mean is a list of
things one would have in such a standard... Hope that makes sense.

Re:Coding standards template

"Adam Versteegen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I don't mean to copy anyone else's standards, but what I mean is a
list of
things one would have in such a standard... Hope that makes sense.
www.chris-lott.org/resources/cstyle/
I've used the Indian Hill Style Guide and the Ellemtel Guide in the
past. Both are quite out of date at this point, but they're very well
done and might give you some ideas. I especially like the Indian Hill
guide since it doesn't focus so much on things like where whitespace
goes but rather on more general stylistic principles that lead to
maintainable code.
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

"Adam Versteegen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:400f22d1$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Hello,

I'm about to attempt to put write up a coding standards doc (eg
spacing/formatting/naming etc) but was wondering if anyone had a
template/doc that I could use as a start? We already have ways that we all
tend to do things, we'd just like to set it in concrete somewhere. If
someone already had a partial/complete doc that I could use as a guide it
would make it less likely that I forget anything...
I don't mean to copy anyone else's standards, but what I mean is a list of
things one would have in such a standard... Hope that makes sense.
For some ideas:
www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq2.html

{smallsort}

Adam Versteegen wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to attempt to put write up a coding standards doc (eg
spacing/formatting/naming etc) but was wondering if anyone had a
template/doc that I could use as a start? We already have ways that we all
tend to do things, we'd just like to set it in concrete somewhere. If
someone already had a partial/complete doc that I could use as a guide it
would make it less likely that I forget anything...
I don't mean to copy anyone else's standards, but what I mean is a list of
things one would have in such a standard... Hope that makes sense.
Thanks guys, I found some that would be useful.
--
Vesty.