Re: Vapour Paper?

2004-06-03 08:02:28 AM
cppbuilder36
"Paul Dolen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>You mean that BCB6 is going to have successor? That is good to hear.

Where have you been? There have been some rumors to that effect, and
a rumor of an "open letter" to come to tell all. This is a relatively
new rumor of early May, as opposed to the old rumor of like, 8 months
ago. But now everyone is up in arms that the new rumor of a new open
letter hasn't come true yet either--hence the topic name "Vapour
Paper".

So again, we wait...
Rumor applies to a report that flies about, often gains in details as it
spreads, but lacks a clear cut source and clear-cut evidence of its truth.
This is the definition of a rumor. So how could you expect me to take BCB6
having a successor to be a hard fact. Also my name is Tom as in Doubting
Thomas so I am born to not take anything on rumor. Plus this was the overall
impression I got from reading all the messages.
Tom

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

"Russell Hind" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Alisdair Meredith wrote:
Unfortunately the rumors flying around here (kicked off by comments from
Borland staff) seem to indicate that BCB will also be continued. This
means either CBX will be dis-continued or Borland are going to produce 2
C++ products, AFAICT so I may well be wrong.

I don't want Borland to drop CBX, I much prefer it to BCB, even without
VCL support, but if they plan to support both, then looking at recent
history, I would be worried about the amount of resources they have to
support 2 products, and could easily see the stability of the products
suffering accordingly. Most people around here will agree BCB6 isn't
the most stable product around, and it was in development when it was
the only C++ product offering from Borland. How will they cope with
both BCB and CBX?
Since you asked why can't Borland just extend BCB to have some of the
properties of C# since BCB is developed on a Delphi base. Then create a
combined product BCB and CBX which has the ability to create a program
quickly in .NET then convert the program to Java so it will run on most
other OSs.
Tom

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

"Saulo I. Regis" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
news:40bcbb12$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>the question
>is _why_ this letter did not appear one
>or two years ago, explaining the long-
>term C++ strategy of Borland, giving
>everybody time to think changes through,
>give valuable feedback, and decide how
>to tackle this.

I'll disagree on that!

Borland did announced 2 years before CBX to where the ship was heading to.

This was done when they launched C++ Builder 6!

They clearly ADVERTISED and all top managers announced on interviews all
thru the specialized media that the new Borland C++ product was heading to
multiplatform: "write once, compile and run in many OS".

I planned my strategy on this promise an I bought C++ Builder 6
(Enterprise,
Dave!)!

Now... where is the product?

Discontinued???

Windows ONLY???

Everything except WINDOWS???

Saulo

Maybe more development is needed on it. Maybe it will be a combined product
made from BCB and CBX with many of the properties of C# and Java.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

"Tom" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escreveu na mensagem
Since you asked why can't Borland just extend BCB to have some of the
properties of C# since BCB is developed on a Delphi base. Then create a
combined product BCB and CBX which has the ability to create a program
quickly in .NET then convert the program to Java so it will run on most
other OSs.
Sorry but this will not be C++ anymore!
We are talking here about Borland C++ product line!
Saulo

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Since you asked why can't Borland just extend BCB to have some of the
>properties of C# since BCB is developed on a Delphi base. Then create a
>combined product BCB and CBX which has the ability to create a program
>quickly in .NET then convert the program to Java so it will run on most
>other OSs.

Sorry but this will not be C++ anymore!

We are talking here about Borland C++ product line!

Saulo

I give you that it may not be C++, but could it be written in a C++ like
language that could be easily learned. You have to give me that my product
would be relatively desirable.

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

Tom wrote:
create a
>>combined product BCB and CBX which has the ability to create a program
>>quickly in .NET then convert the program to Java so it will run on most
>>other OSs.
>
>Sorry but this will not be C++ anymore!
>
>We are talking here about Borland C++ product line!
>
>Saulo

I give you that it may not be C++, but could it be written in a C++ like
language that could be easily learned. You have to give me that my product
would be relatively desirable.
I give you that real time guys, and perhaps others, would not desire it.

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

This is the definition of a rumor. So how could you expect me to take BCB6
having a successor to be a hard fact.
If you'll actually read my post, you'll notice I never said that you
should take it as a "hard fact". I was responding to when you said,
"You mean that BCB6 is going to have successor?" which sounds like you
hadn't heard any wind of the idea.

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

What would that prove? BCB6 is still for sale, and it's dead
Well, the original quote I was responding to said
>>And what about C#Builder ?
>>Available for a brief time and now it has been mercifully euthanased.
"Available for a brief time" implies no longer available, and I don't
think that is true. Also, I think it is a bit premature to call
C#Builder "dead", though I can understand people thinking it might be.
But if it does get merged into Delphi, it would die as a separate
product but that might not be so bad. Of course people who bought it
might disagree.

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

"Paul Dolen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>This is the definition of a rumor. So how could you expect me to take
BCB6
>having a successor to be a hard fact.

If you'll actually read my post, you'll notice I never said that you
should take it as a "hard fact". I was responding to when you said,
"You mean that BCB6 is going to have successor?" which sounds like you
hadn't heard any wind of the idea.

I understand and appreciate that. All I was saying is I need evidence
before I believe a rumor. I was being a doubting Thomas. There are some
others on the usenet group who seemed to hold my view. They must be from
Missouri. :-)
Tom

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

"Valence Crearer" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Tom wrote:

>create a
>>>combined product BCB and CBX which has the ability to create a
program
>>>quickly in .NET then convert the program to Java so it will run on
most
>>>other OSs.
>>
>>Sorry but this will not be C++ anymore!
>>
>>We are talking here about Borland C++ product line!
>>
>>Saulo
>>

>I give you that it may not be C++, but could it be written in a C++ like
>language that could be easily learned. You have to give me that my
product
>would be relatively desirable.

I give you that real time guys, and perhaps others, would not desire it.
One of the major things holding back Apple and Linux is lack of
applications. My program would help with this problem. I believe that
competition is always a good thing, and Microsoft has been accused many
times of being a monopoly. Plus it couldn't hurt to expand the power of C++
for the present developers.
Tom

Re:Re: Vapour Paper?

All I was saying is I need evidence before I believe a rumor.
That's fine by me.