Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

2004-10-15 04:52:35 AM
cppbuilder13
Leroy Casterline wrote:
Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>My top annoyances:

My top annoyance: BCB might not be in the picture tomorrow. In
comparison, all other considerations pale (IMHO, of course).
Couldn't agree more.
--
Ken
planeta.terra.com.br/educacao/kencamargo/

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

You're just trying to miminize the time you spend in
things where optimization is NOT important.
I mean : you spend 40 % of writing a project,
50 % of debugging it and maybe 10 % of writing it.
I don't think cut & paste will save you such a lot of time.
As for me in Delphi, I *never* use this function (<shift>
<ctrl>"C">) to generate the code because I *need* two things :
- I want the functions to be in the same order
than in the declaration (if you declare say 10 funcs and
press <shift><ctrl>"C">they're never developped in the
same order)
- you probably (if you're a _serious_ developper) need
a header before each function describing the function,
its parameters, what they do, how they're modified,
the date of creation, and last time it was modified.
In short :
1) type the function
2) copy it
3) paste it in the right place
4) copy & paste the "functions header"
5) change this header
You have *no* way to gain time if you're a serious
programmer.
Sorry for my English which is not really good.
"Tamas Demjen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >a écrit dans le message de
>I agree there but that isn't Code Completion. Blame Borland for the
>naming but "Code Insight" is apparently the name for a group of five
>functions that the IDE provides. The above feature is called "Code
>Templates" and I've never used that (tried once but couldn't see the
>point).

I agree. I would like to see something much more useful instead: A
feature that automatically creates an empty function definition from a
function declaration. So if I click on a line like this in the header
file,

virtual int Process(const string& name, Params& params) const = 0;

a shortcut key could automatically generate the correct .cpp equivalent:

int MyClass::Process(const string& name, Params& params) const
{
}

That would really save a lot of copy-paste operations, and it's easy to
automate. I mean, who is using the class explorer's Add Field or Add
Method command, when it's much easier and faster to type the line on my
own? However, generating the function heading in the .cpp file would be
really useful. I think somebody has created such a plugin or script for
VC++, but not sure about BCB.

Tom

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

Jim Dodd < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
be necessary. We should be able to use Quality Central as
easily as we use this newsgroup. I've tried Quality Central
and not only find it to be unwieldy and confusing but there
is very little feedback from Borland on the bugs and requests
listed there.
Jeremy North has written a free program that makes QC much easier to
use. It's pre-release and not yet complete, but I find it very useful.
www.alphalink.com.au/~jed/QC/

{smallsort}

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

Compared to the total amount of time spent on development, you can't
save a lot of time. But still, sometimes you could save some, in the
very early stage of the development, when the interface of a new class
is created. Also, when you refactor some code and add a new parameter, I
usually do that in the .cpp file first, and it would be nice to update
the .h file accordingly.
When I inherit from an interface class, to create a new implementation,
I copy and paste the interface member functions, remove the "= 0" after
the virtual functions, so I end up having a class with a bunch of new
virtual functions:
class Impl : public Intface
{
virtual int One(int one, int two, int three);
virtual int Two(int one, int two, int three);
};
I know that I'm going to implement them all, and what I do is select
those functions, copy, switch to the .cpp file, paste, and back to the
.h file, copy the name of the class, paste, append ::, select, cut, and
then paste it to every function in the .cpp, then remove the virtual
before every function in the .cpp, then remove the ; from the end of
each line, then add { newline } newline newline, then select, copy,
paste, paste, paste. It's annoying. It takes about 30 seconds to migrate
the functions from the .h file to the .cpp, and I have to do it all over
for every single class I ever create in my life. Overall, it adds up.
Tom

Tamas Demjen wrote:
Compared to the total amount of time spent on development, you can't
save a lot of time. But still, sometimes you could save some, in the
very early stage of the development, when the interface of a new
class is created. Also, when you refactor some code and add a new
parameter, I usually do that in the .cpp file first, and it would be
nice to update the .h file accordingly.
What's wrong with ClassExplorer?
--

Kenneth de Camargo wrote:
What's wrong with ClassExplorer?
Does it synchronize my .h file with the .cpp and back?
Tom

Tamas Demjen wrote:
>What's wrong with ClassExplorer?
Does it synchronize my .h file with the .cpp and back?
I think so.
--

Kenneth de Camargo wrote:

What's wrong with ClassExplorer?
Aside from missing classes? Or aside from the fact that some people have to turn it
off or their IDE crashes too often?

Randall Parker wrote:
>What's wrong with ClassExplorer?

Aside from missing classes? Or aside from the fact that some people
have to turn it off or their IDE crashes too often?
I never experienced either of those. Maybe I'm lucky. <shrug>
--

"Kenneth de Camargo" <INVERT:rb.moc.arret@jcrk>wrote in message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Randall Parker wrote:

>>What's wrong with ClassExplorer?
>
>Aside from missing classes? Or aside from the fact that some people
>have to turn it off or their IDE crashes too often?

I never experienced either of those. Maybe I'm lucky. <shrug>
With Class Explorer installed, any time that I closed the
IDE with unsaved changes and it prompted me to
save and I selected yes, it crashed. It also hung and
crashed at times on run. After removing CE completely,
this stopped happening.

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Aside from missing classes? Or aside from the fact that some people have to turn it
off or their IDE crashes too often?
I didn't see IDE crashes when it was enabled, but every time I tried to
run my project under the de{*word*81}, even if nothing had to be compiled or
linked, there was a 30-60 second delay. Turning it off solved this
problem.

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

I also found that getting rid of CE fixed all my crashes. It's standard
advice I've been giving out for several years and usually makes a big
difference :)
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...] I would have expected an editor company to be less good at C++ editing support
than a compiler/IDE company. But obviously not the case.
Funny. I see the same with Visual Assist
beeing superior to Visual Studio's own
code completion. I suppose this is because
when you don't have a (real C++) compiler
to do this, you don't try to make it
working using a (real C++) compiler. :)
I think VA guesses what I want at least as
often as it really looks things up. But
that's fine with me, as the heuristics is
good enough to still being an improvement.
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org

Re:Re: What annoys you most in BCB v6?

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...] It is maddening sometimes
because [...] it types in ending parentheses and so
do I, resulting in an interesting syntax <g>
I think a decent code completion should fix
such annoyances without having you even notice
it. (I use Visual Assist [VA] for Visual Studio
and I recently discovered that it silently
fixes this for me. I was amazed, as I hadn't
noticed this while using it for months. AFAIK
CodeWarrior does the same.)
It is sometimes slow so of course it would be good to speed it up.
I have yet to see a code completing IDE where
that feature is fast enough so that users would
not have to complain. :)
However, IIRC, the problem with BCB's (that was
BCB4, I haven't really used later versions) was
that it would block the app, so I would have to
type blind. VA doesn't do this. If I am faster
than it is, then that's fine and it doesn't
interfere with my typing.
I have seen complaints where people say it won't look up things
because of "errors in the code". This appears to result from there
not yet having been a compile involving what it is to look up. The
table it uses derives from the digested header files and isn't yet
initialized. Independent of what complaints are filed, that seems to
be a fundamental limitiation. It's cannot look up what it has not yet
catalogued. However the text of the message might be better. Perhaps
"Not yet catalogued" could be used instead of "errors in the code".
I hate to tell you that, but VA finds code as
soon as I typed it. :) (I think it very often
guesses using heuristics, rather than really
looking things up. You might call this cheating,
but I don't mind, as it helps nevertheless.)
If I had an opportunity to alter how it works I'd add a minimum delay
setting to the IDE's menus for how long before it pops up, stop it
from adding ending parentheses and change the wording of the complaint
message.
I thought the delay was to be adjusted in the
options dialog? Anyway, VA comes with a comples
options dialog that has dozens of settings. It
was almost annoying to go through all this when
I first had it installed and didn't know most of
the terms (I am one of those guys who always
jump at the options dialog first thing when they
started a newly installed app :o>). But after a
while I had everything setup exactly as I like
it.
. Ed
[...]
Schobi
--

"Andrue Cope [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I also found that getting rid of CE fixed all my crashes. It's standard
advice I've been giving out for several years and usually makes a big
difference :)
Looking back in my saved folder, I see that you're
the one that gave me that idea. Thanks.