If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

2006-05-30 06:49:45 AM
cppbuilder34
It is hard to get a sense of the satisfaction of people with BCB 2006 because a few
people complain and it is hard to tell whether there's a large body of silent
majority satisfied users.
So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?
If it was not worth the money what arre the causes of your dissatisfaction?
If you are net dissatisfied are there things about BCB 2006 that are still quite
desirable to you?
If it was worth the upgrade cost what are the causes of that feeliing of satisfaction
as well?
If you were on net satisfied are there things that still detract from your
dissatisfaction that you'd most like to see improved?
Please do not reply if you did NOT upgrade.

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

wrote:
It is hard to get a sense of the satisfaction of people with BCB 2006
because a few people complain and it is hard to tell whether there's a
large body of silent majority satisfied users.
Satisfied or not, that remains to be proved; but since the 'majority'
(as stated in previous threads) of users don't even read the NGs,
it's really hard to tell. However, if you take the 'sample' of
the ngs, then you can still probably surmise that the majority
do happen to like BDS.
I didn't upgrade from Delphi7 Ent; but bought a new BDS Enterprise
license.

So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?
Well, despite the fact that I bought it over five months
ago, I'm still asking that question. Perhaps my experience
is marred by the fact that:
1) The interface needs getting used to.
2) The loading is slow(1 minute load), but from
another NG, I probably need to clean up the
installation (really, is a USER supposed to
be made to clean up something that was
installed out of the box?) or move the
whole installation to a Desktop where the
hardware is more flexible.
3) Documentation bites. Delphi part is
ok(could be better). The CPP documentation
*REALLY* needs a lot of work. Esp.
how about including some more examples?
If you are net dissatisfied are there things about BCB 2006 that are
still quite desirable to you?
Well, the fact is that I can do both Delphi and BCB
on the same IDE, it isn't that bad really. That's
a positive.
Please do not reply if you did NOT upgrade.
Actually, do I apply to this restriction? I bought Delphi 7 Ent full.
Recently, I bought BDS2006 full. Theoretically, that's an upgrade
no, despite licensing wise, it isn't. (Pedantic? I dunno.
Definitely not trying to be facetious though.)
Edmund

Randall Parker wrote:
So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?
At work we only maintain the Professional Edition, and I feel we have
had value for money. We also had to do a reasonable ammount of work to
port many projects to the new IDE and project file formats.
The big win for us is in the bug fixes, but as there are some
expectations these should be free I will not dwell on them.
The IDE takes a little getting used to, but seems a good step up.
During migration, I really noticed the missing 'little features' when
going back to work in BCB6. These include such things as brace
completion, block commenting and the highlight line. Nothing
earth-shattering, but they make my daily life in the text editor easier.
The new project manager took a little taming, but now seems to work
quite well. Multiple configurations per project has long been
requested, and changing all projects to the same configuration is
simple too.
The Dinkumware STL should be a plus point by itself, although I have
not had time to do any serious benchmarking or bug-testing on standard
libraries. Too much 'real code' of my own to write.
Some of the new components have gone straight into our software, and
the XP Manifest support to finally give our apps a WinXP look-and-feel
was most welcome.
The biggest downside at the moment is the new help files. If you are
upgrading, I would recommend keeping the old product installed just for
the help files!
--
AlisdairM(TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:447b7a88$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
It is hard to get a sense of the satisfaction of people with BCB 2006
because a few people complain and it is hard to tell whether there's a
large body of silent majority satisfied users.
That has been the case for every version ever released. These are support
groups. The majority of people who come here are those looking for help.
Those that don't want/need help don't have much reason to come here, except
to help others.
So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?
Like any version, BDS has its share of problems. But it also has a lot
going for it. So it is a judgement call. Personally, I am starting to like
it, though the Welcome screen gets annoying very quickly. I haven't figure
out how to disable it yet. Other than that, I have projects that I've
started migrating to it, and it has been working well. Mind you, my
projects are relatively small. But others have chimed in about large scale
projects that have migrated over without too many surprises. And it does
certainly have a bit more stability to it, even if the C++ personality still
lacks some functionality from the other personalities (refactoring, etc).
But it is a good step in the right direction for Borland to do overall,
though. I think you will get your money's worth. Just don't trust
mission-critical stuff with it day 1 until you give yourself enough time to
explore it beforehand.
Gambit

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
It is hard to get a sense of the satisfaction of people with BCB 2006
because a few people complain and it is hard to tell whether there's a
large body of silent majority satisfied users.

So IF you did upgrade was it worth the money?

We upgraded our 3 Delphi professional licenses to BDS 2006. I'm blown
away by the possibilities clean integration of C++ and Delphi opens up.
I just hope Borland stays the course and keeps the product integrated,
and concentrates on developing the fine technology they have.
The IDE takes some getting used to. If anyone can tell me how to get my
component palette back under the menu where it belongs, I sure would
appreciate it.

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

So far I'm happy with BDS. ANSI C++ compliance has never been my #1
priority so I am not disheartened with the lack of progress in that area.
As others have mentioned it is nice to be able to finally work with OP and
C++ in the same IDE since I jump back and forth between OP and C++
frequently. I am happy to finally be able to make changes to an OP package
and not worry about project corruption (this is a big BCB6 issue). For the
multiple personality support alone I believe my purchase was validated.
Also, being able to finally fully debug a C++ app into OP source is
glorious. It *kind of* worked in BCB6 but watches and tooltip expressions
were broken -- making debugging frustrating, if not worthless.
I use Code Insight more with BDS than with the older IDEs (though it is
still sluggish for C++).
I haven't developed any new product or upgraded any of my old products to
BDS yet, though. Mostly I've upgraded all of my support packages and test
projects in preparation for the jump (all of those work just dandy). I
suspect in the next few months I'll finally migrate one of my older projects
(currently built using BCB5) to BDS. That will be the real test of my
newfound loyalty to Borland (IDE team).
- Clayton

Randall Parker wrote:
It is hard to get a sense of the satisfaction of people with BCB 2006
because a few people complain and it is hard to tell whether there's
a large body of silent majority satisfied users.
This is a good thread and one I'll keep an eye on it - thanks.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Alisdair Meredith[TeamB] wrote:
These include such things as brace
completion, block commenting and the highlight line.
The first two, yes. I remember joking with a colleague about how
pointless they were and then due to management upheaval I had to go
back to BCB6. The highlight line I didn't like and I still can't see
the point of it.
I don't like the new VCL palette though. It seems too cluttered.
The biggest downside at the moment is the new help files. If you are
upgrading, I would recommend keeping the old product installed just
for the help files!
Lol, I can't comment on the C++ help because every time I tried to use
it I got Visual Studio help. The rest of it seemed okay but only if you
could actually find what you were looking for.
--

Henry Hansen wrote:
The IDE takes some getting used to. If anyone can tell me how to get
my component palette back under the menu where it belongs, I sure
would appreciate it.
Same here.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]
info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

Amen.
C++Builder Developer's Journal
bcbjournal.com
BCB Commonly Asked Questions
bcbjournal.com/bcbcaq

Henry Hansen wrote:
The IDE takes some getting used to. If anyone can tell me how to get
my component palette back under the menu where it belongs, I sure
would appreciate it.
I hope Borland/DevCo are listening to this one. BCB5/6 IDE UI was definitely a
plus point, and BDS2006 paid no respect to it.
--
?
Mark Jacobs

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

On Tue, 30 May 2006 00:32:26 -0700, "Clayton Arends"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
frequently. I am happy to finally be able to make changes to an OP package
and not worry about project corruption (this is a big BCB6 issue). For the
good to you. I have a project group containing several delphi packages
and couple of bcb apps using those packages. everytime I need to
change something in package and reinstall it I have to close the whole
project group, reload only single delphi package, rebuild/reinstall it
and then reopen my project group, otherwise IDE crashes
--
Vladimir Ulchenko aka vavan

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

"Mark Jacobs" <www.jacobsm.com/mjmsg?Borland%20Newsgroup>wrote in
message news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

I hope Borland/DevCo are listening to this one. BCB5/6 IDE UI was
definitely a plus point, and BDS2006 paid no respect to it.
--
I thought you had not upgraded to BDS2006, Mark?
Personally, I think the UI is - overall - much better in BDS2006.

Roddy Pratt wrote:
I thought you had not upgraded to BDS2006, Mark?
I have the demo version. What beleaguers me about this product is that there
is so much wrong with it, but with little or no fixes for it being brought
out. It is taking them too long to get to a stable release.
--
?
Mark Jacobs

Re:If you upgraded to BCB 2006 was it worth it?

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
Henry Hansen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The IDE takes some getting used to. If anyone can tell me how to get my
component palette back under the menu where it belongs, I sure would
appreciate it.
It will dock at the top of the screen. Not the same as before, but
workable.
--
-David
Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?