csdemos Example, having problem w/ interbase

I tried to compile the example "csdemos" it asked me to enter a password
when I ran the program and I tried going to BDE Admin and set a password but
it won't let me. How do I get past this. How do I set up Interbase and BDE.

Randy
Randyy...@hotmail.com

Re:csdemos Example, having problem w/ interbase

: "randy" <ry...@dtgnet.com> wrote:
>I tried to compile the example "csdemos" it asked me to enter a password
>when I ran the program and I tried going to BDE Admin and set a password but
>it won't let me. How do I get past this. How do I set up Interbase and BDE.

Please read the documentation, there somewhere is a default password
specified - perhaps "sysdba", I just don't remember.

Question on Interbase and the BDE should go to one of the database groups.

Re:csdemos Example, having problem w/ interbase

The default password for sysdba is masterkey.

Jeff Overcash

"Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)" wrote:

> : "randy" <ry...@dtgnet.com> wrote:

> >I tried to compile the example "csdemos" it asked me to enter a password
> >when I ran the program and I tried going to BDE Admin and set a password but
> >it won't let me. How do I get past this. How do I set up Interbase and BDE.

> Please read the documentation, there somewhere is a default password
> specified - perhaps "sysdba", I just don't remember.

> Question on Interbase and the BDE should go to one of the database groups.

> --
> Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)     http://www.econos.de/
> Please do apply judgement when sending email.

Re:csdemos Example, having problem w/ interbase

Hello Jeff, Randy,

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) <overc...@onramp.net> schreef in artikel
<3723A07F.13CF3...@onramp.net>...

> The default password for sysdba is masterkey.

Hmm, that's what I thought too, but I kept getting the unrecognised
password error box. I think this has to do with the need to get the
InterBase
server running in local mode first. However after a full install of BCB4
prof, I didn't seem able to convince it to do so...<g>
It looks like that the install somehow overlooked the installment of the
InterBase Guardian that provides setup and connecting to a local server.
(being a DB newbie I don't know if I have the terminology right<g>) I did a
reinstall this morning of InterBase and now all is fine as far as I can
see, including recognition of the 'masterkey' password.
Well, time to dig in the tutorials of InterBase too...;-))

--
Greetings from sunny Amsterdam

                Jan

email: bijs...@worldonline.nl
http://home.worldonline.nl/~bijster

Re:csdemos Example, having problem w/ interbase

Yes, interbase get's confusing here a bit.  It will return invalid
password at times that that is not really the case like you found out
with the local server not up and running.  I like interbase, but there
are some places it can be improved.  I tend to ensure everything working
fine from the DB end when I start having problems with Delphi or BCB and
Interbase.  Using the Server Manager or Communication Diagnostics often
shows that IB isn't running or some problem on that end.

Jeff Overcash

"J.A. Bijsterbosch" wrote:

> Hello Jeff, Randy,

> Jeff Overcash (TeamB) <overc...@onramp.net> schreef in artikel
> <3723A07F.13CF3...@onramp.net>...
> > The default password for sysdba is masterkey.

> Hmm, that's what I thought too, but I kept getting the unrecognised
> password error box. I think this has to do with the need to get the
> InterBase
> server running in local mode first. However after a full install of BCB4
> prof, I didn't seem able to convince it to do so...<g>
> It looks like that the install somehow overlooked the installment of the
> InterBase Guardian that provides setup and connecting to a local server.
> (being a DB newbie I don't know if I have the terminology right<g>) I did a
> reinstall this morning of InterBase and now all is fine as far as I can
> see, including recognition of the 'masterkey' password.
> Well, time to dig in the tutorials of InterBase too...;-))

> > Jeff Overcash

> --
> Greetings from sunny Amsterdam

>                 Jan

> email: bijs...@worldonline.nl
> http://home.worldonline.nl/~bijster

Re:csdemos Example, having problem w/ interbase

Hello Jeff,

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) <overc...@onramp.net> schreef in artikel
<3727672E.EADF0...@onramp.net>...

> Yes, interbase get's confusing here a bit.  It will return invalid
> password at times that that is not really the case like you found out
> with the local server not up and running.  I like interbase, but there
> are some places it can be improved.

Well, as said being a DB newbie, I've got no referencing knowledge to that
fact<g>, but since the reinstall no glitches have occurred.

> I tend to ensure everything working
> fine from the DB end when I start having problems with Delphi or BCB and
> Interbase.  Using the Server Manager or Communication Diagnostics often
> shows that IB isn't running or some problem on that end.

Hmm, I presume the biggest problems to occur over here will be related to
my less than adequate knowledge of database programming at the moment<g>.
Getting into the InterBase tutorial gives a good insight in the SQL syntax,
but fails to give an overall picture why some particular relations are made
or how the layout of the database that's created was intended. Obviously
some insight in basic database design, or a standard business database
layout, is expected. Sadly neither is the case over here...
I saw you frequent the database newsgroup as well, so you can expect to see
further questions on this subject from me there. One off topic one I dare
to ask here though, do you know of any articles about database design,
related to SQL, floating around on the web?

--
Greetings from sunny and orange Amsterdam

                Jan

email: bijs...@worldonline.nl
http://home.worldonline.nl/~bijster

Other Threads