Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Hello, sorry to beg but I have been messing with this all day and it
just doesn't seem to work.  It seems to be a problem with BCB++.

I am using an ActiveX control, which has it's own events.  They show
up just fine in the Object Inspector, and I can add a handler for it
just fine (by dbl clicking on the event... etc.).  However, this event
never gets caught by the handler.

I know the event is getting sent, but would there be any reason why it
would not be getting caught?

There are 2 other controls which do not implement custom events, and
they work fine for what they do.  They respond to the hardware (the
controls drive external hardware) fine and give a visual response as
well.  It is the other control which is of importance though.  Without
it, the rest are useless. I really do not want to go back to Visual
C++. However, in Visual C++, the event was caught with no problem.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Marotti
dmaro...@mecatool-usa.com

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Dave,

    You didn't specify if you are using BCB 1 or BCB 3.  From the problem
you describe, I'll assume BCB 3.  I have the same problem with the
mapocx.ocx from Chicago map.  I can't get the OnMouseMove event to fire.
Inprise has said that a fix for ActiveX problems is coming, but hasn't
specified when, or what it will include.  If your project is time critical,
you could back down to BCB1 which was ok with ActiveX controls, or go
to a M$ tool.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Dave Marotti wrote in message <35a3f7b0.1523...@forums.inprise.com>...
>Hello, sorry to beg but I have been messing with this all day and it
>just doesn't seem to work.  It seems to be a problem with BCB++.

>I am using an ActiveX control, which has it's own events.  They show
>up just fine in the Object Inspector, and I can add a handler for it
>just fine (by dbl clicking on the event... etc.).  However, this event
>never gets caught by the handler.

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Is there a 'downgrade' available anywhere?  What are the differences
between 1 and 3 (yes, were using 3).

Dave

>Dave,

>    You didn't specify if you are using BCB 1 or BCB 3.  From the problem
>you describe, I'll assume BCB 3.  I have the same problem with the
>mapocx.ocx from Chicago map.  I can't get the OnMouseMove event to fire.
>Inprise has said that a fix for ActiveX problems is coming, but hasn't
>specified when, or what it will include.  If your project is time critical,
>you could back down to BCB1 which was ok with ActiveX controls, or go
>to a M$ tool.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Interesting question.  You'll have to talk to someone at Imprise about a
downgrade from 3 to 1.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to give you
one.  On the other hand, they may view it as a chance to sell another BCB1
rather than fixing a problem with BCB3. (Notice: I didn't say a customer's
problem.  The problem you seem to be experiencing is not yours, it belongs
to Inprise.)

As to the differences, the biggest two I can think of are 1) How VCLs are
added to the IDE. and 2) the ability to create ActiveX components.  As far
as I know, these are not problem areas.  Its just that when BCB3 was
released, the ability to import and use ActiveX components went to hell in a
handbasket.

Dave Marotti wrote in message >Is there a 'downgrade' available anywhere?

What are the differences
>between 1 and 3 (yes, were using 3).

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:42:17 -0500, "Pete Pedersen"

<drdig...@turtletech.com> wrote:

Well, I talked (via email) to some people at Inprise, and tried using
some sort of a patch, it fixed a few ActiveX quirks, but my event
still does not get caught.  I am just about out of time, so I may
install MS VC++ on my machine today :(

Dave

>Interesting question.  You'll have to talk to someone at Imprise about a
>downgrade from 3 to 1.  I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to give you
>one.  On the other hand, they may view it as a chance to sell another BCB1
>rather than fixing a problem with BCB3. (Notice: I didn't say a customer's
>problem.  The problem you seem to be experiencing is not yours, it belongs
>to Inprise.)

>As to the differences, the biggest two I can think of are 1) How VCLs are
>added to the IDE. and 2) the ability to create ActiveX components.  As far
>as I know, these are not problem areas.  Its just that when BCB3 was
>released, the ability to import and use ActiveX components went to hell in a
>handbasket.

>Dave Marotti wrote in message >Is there a 'downgrade' available anywhere?
>What are the differences
>>between 1 and 3 (yes, were using 3).

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Dave Marotti wrote in message

>Well, I talked (via email) to some people at Inprise, and tried using
>some sort of a patch, it fixed a few ActiveX quirks, but my event
>still does not get caught.  I am just about out of time, so I may
>install MS VC++ on my machine today :(

Dave,
    I have been waiting at least eight weeks for a patch. Others have been
waiting longer. As with you, my time is just about up.  Several weeks ago,
Inprise sounded as if they were hours away from a fix. Evidently they were
not.  I'm still missing events too. In addition to that, ActiveX properties
that were inherited from root classes turn up missing.

The big surprise to me is reading in these pages where the same people who
do Delphi are the ones that work on Builder.  If this is true, it means that
either 1) they have been spending all of their time getting D4 ready, or 2)
they have been working on Builder/Enterprise.  In either case, it means the
BCB crowd is being shortchanged.  VC++ is a pain in the ass as far as I'm
concerned.  On the other hand, it works.  :-((

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Hey Pete,

Well, I'm just about out of time.  I'm waiting for email back to see
if we can import 3.0 controls into 1.0 (we need the DB controls of our
3.0 C/S version, but there is no way we are going to pay for the C/S
version of 1.0).  I am just about out of time, and were about to go to
VC :(  Ick.

Dave

>>Well, I talked (via email) to some people at Inprise, and tried using
>>some sort of a patch, it fixed a few ActiveX quirks, but my event
>>still does not get caught.  I am just about out of time, so I may
>>install MS VC++ on my machine today :(

>Dave,
>    I have been waiting at least eight weeks for a patch. Others have been
>waiting longer. As with you, my time is just about up.  Several weeks ago,
>Inprise sounded as if they were hours away from a fix. Evidently they were
>not.  I'm still missing events too. In addition to that, ActiveX properties
>that were inherited from root classes turn up missing.

>The big surprise to me is reading in these pages where the same people who
>do Delphi are the ones that work on Builder.  If this is true, it means that
>either 1) they have been spending all of their time getting D4 ready, or 2)
>they have been working on Builder/Enterprise.  In either case, it means the
>BCB crowd is being shortchanged.  VC++ is a pain in the ass as far as I'm
>concerned.  On the other hand, it works.  :-((

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Dave,

    Just a thought.  It should be possible (but perhaps inconvenient) to
separate the DB(BCB3) from imported ActiveX(BCB1). If so, you wouldn't need
to pop for the C/S version of BCB1.

    Another thought.  Why not tear off your shackles, expand your horizons,
and call Michael Swindle direct.  If Inprise cares about saving their
developer base, this is the time to show it.

Dave Marotti wrote in message <35aa2d04.7786...@forums.inprise.com>...
>Hey Pete,

>I am just about out of time, and were about to go to
>VC :(  Ick.

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

>Dave,

>    Just a thought.  It should be possible (but perhaps inconvenient) to
>separate the DB(BCB3) from imported ActiveX(BCB1). If so, you wouldn't need
>to pop for the C/S version of BCB1.

>    Another thought.  Why not tear off your shackles, expand your horizons,
>and call Michael Swindle direct.  If Inprise cares about saving their
>developer base, this is the time to show it.

>Dave Marotti wrote in message <35aa2d04.7786...@forums.inprise.com>...
>>Hey Pete,

>>I am just about out of time, and were about to go to
>>VC :(  Ick.

I called once, and got a nice person on the other end who gave me all
the info he could, but still couldn't figure out my problem.  The only
other suggestion he had was for me to whip out ye credit card and
setup an incident (255 bucks!).  I didn't wanna do that, so I kept
plugging away.

Eventually, I got it to work, I posted how I did it to this newsgroup,
this may or may not work for you.

I don't think there is such a thing as "Direct' to a company.

return Direct==(Visa | Mastercard | AmericanExpress);

:)

Dave

Dave Marotti wrote in message <35aaa69f.38917...@forums.inprise.com>...
>I called once, and got a nice person on the other end who gave me all
>the info he could, but still couldn't figure out my problem.  The only
>other suggestion he had was for me to whip out ye credit card and
>setup an incident (255 bucks!).  I didn't wanna do that, so I kept
>plugging away.

>Eventually, I got it to work, I posted how I did it to this newsgroup,
>this may or may not work for you.

>I don't think there is such a thing as "Direct' to a company.

>return Direct==(Visa | Mastercard | AmericanExpress);

>:)

>Dave

Ya,

    When I first called to ask about the problem with ActiveX, they asked me
to start an incident.  I ended up giving them my personal plastic at the
rate of $10 per minute.  It cost me sixty bucks to find out they didn't have
a clue. There aughta be a law.

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Well guess what I found out.  I tried to install the same 3rd party ocx
controls in Delphi 3.0 and ran into the same problem.  Deja vu!  I suspect
that's what's taking them so long as I am told the BCB 3.x is basically Delphi
3.x in sheeps clothing.  Because of the active x problems, I am still using BCB
1.0.  It lacks many of the features of 3.0, but as in VC, it works (at least
most of the time).

David Portyrata

Pete Pedersen wrote:
> Dave,

>     Just a thought.  It should be possible (but perhaps inconvenient) to
> separate the DB(BCB3) from imported ActiveX(BCB1). If so, you wouldn't need
> to pop for the C/S version of BCB1.

>     Another thought.  Why not tear off your shackles, expand your horizons,
> and call Michael Swindle direct.  If Inprise cares about saving their
> developer base, this is the time to show it.

> Dave Marotti wrote in message <35aa2d04.7786...@forums.inprise.com>...
> >Hey Pete,

> >I am just about out of time, and were about to go to
> >VC :(  Ick.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

>    When I first called to ask about the problem with ActiveX, they asked me
>to start an incident.  I ended up giving them my personal plastic at the
>rate of $10 per minute.  It cost me sixty bucks to find out they didn't have
>a clue. There aughta be a law.

They told me that if they couldn't find a solution, there would be no
charge.

Dave

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

> that's what's taking them so long as I am told the BCB 3.x is
> basically Delphi 3.x in sheeps clothing.

Actually our implementation for ActiveX support is different. We use the
ATL on the BCB side. Please submit a bug report for your BCB ActiveX
problems to:
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bugs/bug_reports.html//jt

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

> rate of $10 per minute.  It cost me sixty bucks to find out they

This wasn't our support department then. The cost is at most $4.95 per
minute (phone and research time) for consultative support. An incident
is $225 per issue. In either case if the problem is a verifiable bug in
which we cannot provide a workaround you will be entitled to a refund.
//jt

Re:Problem with 3rd party ActiveX events not getting caught, please help

Dave Marotti wrote in message
>They told me that if they couldn't find a solution, there would be no
>charge.

Tell it to my Visa card.
Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads