Porting a c++ builder application to 16bits environment

I'm very urged to port an application that I've developed with C++ Builder
to a 16 bits platform. I would appreciate if you could send me some
information on how to get it quickly, specially what kind of tools can I
use to ease the design of the forms. I'm very worried because of the
deadlines I have to meet and the possibility of being forced to program the
16bits version using the old and cumbersom C-style of programming Windows
applications.

Many thanks in advance.

Re:Porting a c++ builder application to 16bits environment

The best you can do is acquire Delphi version 1 and port your code
that way...
C++ Builder is completely Win32.

--
Chris (TeamB)

Re:Porting a c++ builder application to 16bits environment

On 23 Nov 1998 17:08:49 GMT, "solange" <sola...@chasque.apc.org>
wrote:

>I'm very urged to port an application that I've developed with C++ Builder
>to a 16 bits platform.

YOu will have your best chance to do this is you totally avoid the
VCL,  and MFC.  AFAIK these two libraries only come in 32-bit
flavors...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Inprise's TeamB

Re:Porting a c++ builder application to 16bits environment

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:07:17 GMT, JersW...@wwa.com (Jerry Bloomfield

[TeamB]) wrote:
>On 23 Nov 1998 17:08:49 GMT, "solange" <sola...@chasque.apc.org>
>wrote:

>>I'm very urged to port an application that I've developed with C++ Builder
>>to a 16 bits platform.

>YOu will have your best chance to do this is you totally avoid the
>VCL,  and MFC.  AFAIK these two libraries only come in 32-bit
>flavors...

C++ Builder never supported 16-bit development of any kind.

MFC was available in a 16-bit version.  Of course, it has not been
maintained as MS moved to 32-bit development so it is not in sync with
its 32-bit relative.  Porting a C++ Builder application to 16-bit MFC
will require lots of work, except for code that is completely
independent of the GUI or other C++ Builder specific features.

VCL was available in a 16-bit version as well, with Delphi 1. If a C++
Builder project depends mostly on VCL functionality, it could be
ported to Delphi 1.  This would require the use of Object Pascal
instead of C++.  Additionally, it would be necessary to verify that
the desired functionality was available in the 16-bit VCL, the VCL has
evolved as it moved to 32-bit.

Chris Hill
hil...@cs.purdue.edu

Re:Porting a c++ builder application to 16bits environment

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:44:37 GMT, hil...@cs.purdue.edu (Chris Hill)
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:07:17 GMT, JersW...@wwa.com (Jerry Bloomfield
>[TeamB]) wrote:

>>YOu will have your best chance to do this is you totally avoid the
>>VCL,  and MFC.  AFAIK these two libraries only come in 32-bit
>>flavors...

>C++ Builder never supported 16-bit development of any kind.

Oh,  I never said it would be easy to do,  but some folks have claimed
limited success in running Builder programs on Win32s.  Mind you that
this is totally unsupported by everyone,  since Inprise doesn't support
16-bit targets in Builder,  and MS doesn't support Win32s any longer...
<g>

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Inprise's TeamB
"We'll do anything if you don't pay us."

Other Threads