BCB6 prof, won't accept update,

I've downloaded the Update, but it says that it can't find BCB6 so I've
either got the wrong version or the registry is corrupted. Try reinstalling
cbuilder. So I did, same thing happens.

This product is surprisingly bad. Right from the install.
The install added the line "path = d:\cbuild~3\bin;d:\cbuild~3\projects\bpl"
to the end of the autoexec.bat, so win98 didn't know where to find win.com!
This is great... install the software and your system won't reboot. That's
the first time that's happend to me in years!

Then I try a little application, and statically link the libraries.
(try this at home).
tdump -em test.exe
notice all the import bpl's.

I take it QC is hiring?

Re:BCB6 prof, won't accept update,

> Then I try a little application, and statically link the libraries.
> (try this at home).
> tdump -em test.exe
> notice all the import bpl's.

Oops, my mistake on this one. The packages need to be non runtime. (sheesh).

Re:BCB6 prof, won't accept update,

> The install added the line
> "path = d:\cbuild~3\bin;d:\cbuild~3\projects\bpl"
> to the end of the autoexec.bat, so win98 didn't
> know where to find win.com!

That happened to me as well on Windows 98 (1st edition).  I was in a bit of
a panic until I remembered to execute win.com to start Windows.  Changing
line from

  path=something

  path=%PATH%;something

fixed things up.

I thought it was a quirk on my machine only.

Later when I installed it on XP the install worked great, but XP doesn't set
the path with the autoexec.bat file.

.  Ed

Re:BCB6 prof, won't accept update,

Iplayfast,

> The install added the line "path = d:\cbuild~3\bin;d:\cbuild~3\projects\bpl"
> to the end of the autoexec.bat, so win98 didn't know where to find win.com!

You're running Builder on Win98? Ouch. I'm surprised it can even get beyond
the splash screen.

Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:BCB6 prof, won't accept update,

> You're running Builder on Win98? Ouch. I'm surprised it can even get
beyond
> the splash screen.

> Andrue Cope
> [Bicester, UK]

    It does say on the box that it will work with Win98..... although I too
am running Win98, and Borland screwed up something in my system, so I get a
nice VxD error (VWIN32) every once and again. I think it is either VMM32.vxd
or MSVCRT.dll. Whatever it is, I can no longer even reinstall Windows
without deleting Windows, so I am just praying it will hold together. (I did
wipe out everything in the Windows folder for the very first time in 2 years
to try to fix it to no avail.......nothing like reinstalling software for 8
hours just to finish up with Borland to ruin it all again....sigh...)

    Pretty soon maybe Borland will have a borland.public.cppbuilder.crashes
newsgroup or something, or, if there is a decent person working over at
Borland, fix the bugs! These newsgroup woes cannot be good for PR.... at
least most of the Microsoft newsgroups I have noticed are more like "30 ways
on how to add extra features" etc... instead of "30 ways on how not to have
the IDE crash". So far, the only trouble I have had was it messing up my
system.... I suppose I have been somewhat lucky. There is so much potential
for this product, but I do think Borland is screwing it up. Patches are
never OK and never should be, I think they just put a rush on it to compete
with VS.Net, which may be their ultimate downfall.... good software should
not be rushed. I wonder if VC++.Net has gone GUI yet......might be an
alternative to....this.

Avery

Re:BCB6 prof, won't accept update,

Builder ran ok for me under Win98.

.  Ed

> You're running Builder on Win98? Ouch. I'm surprised it can
> even get beyond  the splash screen.

Other Threads