How to obtain IP's and names of all computers on local network ?

Hello,

I would like to write a small program which would allow to determine
which computers are available on the network. None of those computers
has a server of any kind listening for connections of any kind - is it
possible to do it another way ?

Thanks a lot,

Martin

Re:How to obtain IP's and names of all computers on local network ?

You could try and ping 255.255.255.255 on your local network.

There's a code sample in Microsoft Developer Network with a simple ping
utility to illustrate the use of SOCK_RAW. I think you can use this for a
basis. (Search for 'ping utility' in MSDN).

Terje

Rx Video <rxvi...@cdc.net> skrev i artikkelen
<35B7497D.CBD26...@cdc.net>...

> Hello,

> I would like to write a small program which would allow to determine
> which computers are available on the network. None of those computers
> has a server of any kind listening for connections of any kind - is it
> possible to do it another way ?

> Thanks a lot,

> Martin

Re:How to obtain IP's and names of all computers on local network ?

Hello,

Thank you for your letter. Unfortunately, although I tried to search for
'ping utility' at microsoft's MSDN page, I didn't find anything. You wouldn't
have that file somewhere in your collection, would you ?

Yours,

Martin

Terje wrote:
> You could try and ping 255.255.255.255 on your local network.

> There's a code sample in Microsoft Developer Network with a simple ping
> utility to illustrate the use of SOCK_RAW. I think you can use this for a
> basis. (Search for 'ping utility' in MSDN).

> Terje

> Rx Video <rxvi...@cdc.net> skrev i artikkelen
> <35B7497D.CBD26...@cdc.net>...
> > Hello,

> > I would like to write a small program which would allow to determine
> > which computers are available on the network. None of those computers
> > has a server of any kind listening for connections of any kind - is it
> > possible to do it another way ?

> > Thanks a lot,

> > Martin

Re:How to obtain IP's and names of all computers on local network ?

>have that file somewhere in your collection, would you ?

at thr dos prompt type ping

>Yours,

>Martin

>> > I would like to write a small program which would allow to determine
>> > which computers are available on the network. None of those computers
>> > has a server of any kind listening for connections of any kind - is it
>> > possible to do it another way ?

>> > Thanks a lot,

this may be what you are looking for .. from a buddy at Austin Tx,
http://www.iglobal.net/dennis/html/borland_udp_main.html

Thanks
Mike H

>> > Martin