Problems I'm having with CBuilder4

I've been having the following problems with CBuilder4:

1) Several times a day I suddenly get a bunch of E2178 VIRDEF name conflict
for 'some_object::some_method' errors and must rebuild the project to be
able to continue.

2) When you run CBuilder4 the active project is always the last one that was
added to the project group - not the last one you were working on.

3) When I run CBuilder4 - after selecting the project I want to work on -
make my first change - and do a make project, I get an error  in
algorith.h - and have to rebuild the project to proceed.  This problem
existed in CBuilder3 also.

4) When you open a file from a different project within a project group -
just for reference - the project manager changes to the other project.

Is there is a patch for any of these problems ?

Dave

Re:Problems I'm having with CBuilder4

1 & 3:

    Your pre-compiled headers are corrupt.  Delete the *.csm files and
re-make.

2
    This, I assume, is a bug as it happens with me also

4
    Builder associates cpp files with project files so when you open another
project's main cpp file, it thinks your trying to open the other project and
so does so.

--
============================
Russell Hind

Re:Problems I'm having with CBuilder4

Hi Dave,

> 1) Several times a day I suddenly get a bunch of E2178 VIRDEF name conflict
> for 'some_object::some_method' errors and must rebuild the project to be
> able to continue.

There is one known test case for this reported bug.It happens with pre-compiled
headers during a make when the
.H (not the .CPP ) is out-of-date. For the test case a second make
resolves it. Does a second make not resolve it for your project
or do you need to "Build"?
BTW, it should show up on the published bug list soon.

> 2) When you run CBuilder4 the active project is always the last one that was
> added to the project group - not the last one you were working on.

It's a known limitation, unfortunately. (Same for the state ofthe treeview;
expanded or collapsed, etc. ).

> 3) When I run CBuilder4 - after selecting the project I want to work on -
> make my first change - and do a make project, I get an error  in
> algorith.h - and have to rebuild the project to proceed.

What is the error? I'm guessing, but sometimes templates and inlinefunctions in
headers when using pre-compiled headers can lead to
problems. Removing your template headers from inclusion in the
PCH (via #pragma hdrstop) would be worth a try and good idea
anyway if you are changing/using the template instantiations.

> 4) When you open a file from a different project within a project group -
> just for reference - the project manager changes to the other project.

If you use the first (default) file mask in OpenFile dialog the IDE
thinks you want to open a project. You can use the the drop-down
to select the plain .CPP filemask and the IDE will not open the
project, just the source.

--Craig

Re:Problems I'm having with CBuilder4

> > 4) When you open a file from a different project within a project group -
> > just for reference - the project manager changes to the other project.

> If you use the first (default) file mask in OpenFile dialog the IDE
> thinks you want to open a project. You can use the the drop-down
> to select the plain .CPP filemask and the IDE will not open the
> project, just the source.

> --Craig

Being a fan of obscure keyboard shortcuts, I like this trick for opening
files:

Type the filename of the file you want opened in the code editor and hit
ctrl+enter. If the file is in the project path, it will open in the
editor. Otherwise, the Open File dialog pops up. You can type absolute
or relative paths for the file you want opened if it's not in the
project path.

Drawback: Remembering to delete the random filenames from the file you
were editing at the time.

I think this falls under the category of "nifty, but not recommended".
:-)

--
Vincent Drake
Developer Support

Re:Problems I'm having with CBuilder4

Sounds like another example of the software trying to be too clever for its
own good, just like Microsoft Office products. Perhaps you should take heed
Borland and make your interface design functional yet crude. That way we
all know what to expect of it. We don't like clever surprises. We're
developers.

Craig Farrell <cNO_SPAM.please.farr...@insprise.com> wrote in article
<37726EF9.C2D9F...@insprise.com>...

> > 4) When you open a file from a different project within a project group
-
> > just for reference - the project manager changes to the other project.

> If you use the first (default) file mask in OpenFile dialog the IDE
> thinks you want to open a project. You can use the the drop-down
> to select the plain .CPP filemask and the IDE will not open the
> project, just the source.

Re:Problems I'm having with CBuilder4

Please speak for yourself only.  Your apparent belief that you know what I want
and that you can speak on my behalf is presumptious.  My wishes are not
necessarily the same as yours.

Craig Farrell wrote in message <37726EF9.C2D9F...@insprise.com>...
>Hi Dave,
>.
>.
>.
>> 3) When I run CBuilder4 - after selecting the project I want to work on -
>> make my first change - and do a make project, I get an error  in
>> algorith.h - and have to rebuild the project to proceed.

>What is the error? I'm guessing, but sometimes templates and
inlinefunctions in
>headers when using pre-compiled headers can lead to
>problems. Removing your template headers from inclusion in the
>PCH (via #pragma hdrstop) would be worth a try and good idea
>anyway if you are changing/using the template instantiations.
>.
>.
>--Craig

Craig,
The error is F1004 internal compiler error at 0x12873bb with base of
0x1200000.
Dave

Other Threads