graphics porting problem

hi,
I wrote a VERY simple program with borland to learn how to use buttons
and such.  After compiling and running the program fine on my win 98
machine, I tested it on another win 98 machine with no problems.   I
then gave it to the person I was writing it for to use, and they came
back telling me it didn't work correctly.  When they ran it, the
background image would flash up and then be "covered" with solid black.
The rest of the program worked fine, however, the buttons did what they
were supposed to, make various shapes visible or not.  The obvious
difference between the three machines was that the machine that it
didn't work correctly on was running win 95.  Is this a common porting
problem with a common fix, caused by the different operating systems, or
something else?  In any case, does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks,
-Rob Richardson

Re:graphics porting problem

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:34:58 -0400, Rob Richardson

<rob_richard...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I wrote a VERY simple program with borland to learn how to use buttons
>and such.  After compiling and running the program fine on my win 98
>machine, I tested it on another win 98 machine with no problems.   I
>then gave it to the person I was writing it for to use, and they came
>back telling me it didn't work correctly.  When they ran it, the
>background image would flash up and then be "covered" with solid black.
>The rest of the program worked fine, however, the buttons did what they
>were supposed to, make various shapes visible or not.  The obvious
>difference between the three machines was that the machine that it
>didn't work correctly on was running win 95.  Is this a common porting
>problem with a common fix, caused by the different operating systems, or
>something else?  In any case, does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks,

Chances are you're not handling the background image correctly, and
some subtle difference between the two versions of Windows is
responsible. It could also be a palette problem if one or the other is
using true colour (16/24 bit) and the other only 8-bit.

Some details of how you're creating and refreshing this image would be
helpful.

"Hold you in his armchair
 You can feel his disease" - John Lennon

Re:graphics porting problem

I am using borland builder 3, I simply clicked the "image" button to add an
image to the program.  The image is a bitmap that I created for the program.
It never changes in the span of the program.  Other then that, I'm not sure
what else to say about it, this is my first real atempt to write anything
useing builder, so I'm not sure what other information is relevant.  If it
matters, the image is transparent.  If there are any specific details that
you need, I can get them, thanks,
-Rob Richardson
Michael Warner wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:34:58 -0400, Rob Richardson
> <rob_richard...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >I wrote a VERY simple program with borland to learn how to use buttons
> >and such.  After compiling and running the program fine on my win 98
> >machine, I tested it on another win 98 machine with no problems.   I
> >then gave it to the person I was writing it for to use, and they came
> >back telling me it didn't work correctly.  When they ran it, the
> >background image would flash up and then be "covered" with solid black.
> >The rest of the program worked fine, however, the buttons did what they
> >were supposed to, make various shapes visible or not.  The obvious
> >difference between the three machines was that the machine that it
> >didn't work correctly on was running win 95.  Is this a common porting
> >problem with a common fix, caused by the different operating systems, or
> >something else?  In any case, does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks,

> Chances are you're not handling the background image correctly, and
> some subtle difference between the two versions of Windows is
> responsible. It could also be a palette problem if one or the other is
> using true colour (16/24 bit) and the other only 8-bit.

> Some details of how you're creating and refreshing this image would be
> helpful.

> "Hold you in his armchair
>  You can feel his disease" - John Lennon

Other Threads