True DBGrid Pro 6.0d and BCB 4

Hi,

I have ran into a strange problem. My company wants me to use the True
DBGrid Pro (OLEDB) 6.0 that they had purchased for their MSVC applications.
I promised I would give it a try, only to find out that the way the other
(MSVC 6) packages were connecting to it ( using MS ADO Control 6.0 and
assigning this to the DBGrid component's DataSource property) is not working
in BCB 4.

Can anybody help, either from the ADO front or the ActiveX side of things?

Philip Fortomas

PS: I know that BCB5 has ADO as an add-in (in the Pro version) but upgrading
to it is almost out of the question. I am the only one left here to develop
in BCB anyway. All the others (much to my disappointment) have switched....

Re:True DBGrid Pro 6.0d and BCB 4

Philip, I'm not familiar with the packages, but saying 'is not working'
is not saying much. What exactly isn't working?

Alex

Philip Fortomas wrote:

[snip]

Re:True DBGrid Pro 6.0d and BCB 4

Alex,

if I import the MS ADO Control (version 6.0) and drop it on a form and then
drop the True DBGrid component on that form (that I have already imported
into another package) I should be able to assign the instance of the ADO
Control to the DataSource Property of the grid (the same way that MS does
it) but unfortunately *THIS* does not work.
There is another small issue in that whenever I click on the properties of
the control in MSVC there is always a tab page marked "All" that contains
all of the properties of the ActiveX control (much like the Object
Inspector). This does not happen in BCB4. The problem is that the DataSource
property of True DBGrid is only available in that page and does not appear
in the Object Inspector at all.#

Hope this is clearer now, sorry for not explaining my case better...

Best Regards

Philip Fortomas

Philip Fortomas wrote:

> Alex,

> if I import the MS ADO Control (version 6.0) and drop it on a form and then
> drop the True DBGrid component on that form (that I have already imported
> into another package) I should be able to assign the instance of the ADO
> Control to the DataSource Property of the grid (the same way that MS does
> it) but unfortunately *THIS* does not work.

I don't know how MS does this. How do you assign it? In the code? In the
Object Inspector? You still don't provide enough info.

> There is another small issue in that whenever I click on the properties of
> the control in MSVC there is always a tab page marked "All" that contains
> all of the properties of the ActiveX control (much like the Object
> Inspector). This does not happen in BCB4. The problem is that the DataSource
> property of True DBGrid is only available in that page and does not appear
> in the Object Inspector at all.#

I'm not sure why the OI doesn't show the property. Does it exist in the
xxx_ocx.h file?

Alex

Re:True DBGrid Pro 6.0d and BCB 4

Alex,

In the Properties "All" page. As soon as you drop the MS ADO Control on the
form (ie. create a resource entry for it) the DataSource dropdown property
shows the resource ID of the ADO Control. You select that and you connect.
That's all I did and everything works fine in MSVC6
In the meantime I got this from the True DBGrid Pro newsgroup
(apexsc.tdbgrid)

QUOTE
The DataSource property is implemented by the container.  Unfortunately
Borland (Inprise) products do not support it.
UNQUOTE

Regarding the other question, YES it is there... It has stored=false but
that should not make any difference.

Thanks

Philip

Re:True DBGrid Pro 6.0d and BCB 4

Well, in this case, file a bug report/feature request...

a.

Philip Fortomas wrote:

[snip]

Other Threads