Best option for Resource Files

2008-02-18 08:19:49 PM
cppbuilder4
Hello everybody,
Now I have all my bitmaps, icons and texts in a resource file (.rc). I'd
to use another method in order to implement unicode texts and also to
improve the application (the exe is growing constantly and it's hard to
compile).
Any idea?
Thank you. Aitor.

Re:Best option for Resource Files

Somebody in this group once recommended XN Resource Editor to me:
www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm
It works pretty well. You can add it as a tool in the tools menu. My only
gripe is that it's image editor is barely useable. You can always use
mspaint for that (I have VS6 installed, I usually end up using the resource
editor there to create icons but I'm sure there's plenty of good free icon
editors out there). Other than the poor image editor, it's a really great
program.
As for your Unicode text; I don't know what you are trying to do -- you can
add String Table resources with common strings, AFAIK it supports Unicode,
and use the Windows function LoadString (search for it on
msdn.microsoft.com ) to get the strings. This will give you good
localization support too if you need it.
"Aitor Matilla" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hello everybody,

Now I have all my bitmaps, icons and texts in a resource file (.rc). I'd
to use another method in order to implement unicode texts and also to
improve the application (the exe is growing constantly and it's hard to
compile).

Any idea?
Thank you. Aitor.

Re:Best option for Resource Files

Ok, thank you,
I'll test it.
Aitor.
En/na Jason Cipriani ha escrit:

news:47b977e8$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Hello everybody,
>
>Now I have all my bitmaps, icons and texts in a resource file (.rc). I'd
>to use another method in order to implement unicode texts and also to
>improve the application (the exe is growing constantly and it's hard to
>compile).
>
>Any idea?
>Thank you. Aitor.

{smallsort}

Re:Best option for Resource Files

As for your Unicode text; I don't know what you are trying to do -- you can
add String Table resources with common strings, AFAIK it supports Unicode,
and use the Windows function LoadString (search for it on
msdn.microsoft.com ) to get the strings. This will give you good
localization support too if you need it.
It looks a great tool.
But I have some questions:
1.- The diference between an rc file and a res file is that the res file
is the rc compiled ?
2 .- I've created a res file with a string table and I'm trying to load
these strings without success and I don't know why:
char buffer[256];
LoadString (HInstance, 0, buffer, sizeof(buffer)/sizeof(char));
Any idea. Thanks.
Aitor